How do you describe the country ,"China"?

Tommi   Monday, November 29, 2004, 07:02 GMT
Steve K,
I really don't want to offend you, but why are you so sure that Chinese people do not love their country?most of us chinese people do not deny that the current society of china do need a long and wonderful period to develop.we all know that everything have been developed from 'bad' to 'good',from 'darkness' to 'brightness' ,included language,history,and society,everything in the world, even include we human beings(you Steve K can speak 'a,b,c' just because 'you' have been developed for hundreds of generations-period-time,do you agree?).what I want to know is that which society do you think is so-called 'respectful' , 'free' and 'trustful' society in the world?US?or Japan?England?is that true?Then could we consider the serious gun-violences as the result of the 'respect' and 'freedom' in US?We suspect it! Even if they are all true and there are still lots of such 'bad' societies in the world which are lack of freedom and respect. There are too many developing countries in the world.we can say it's dark there but most important,we should think some methods to solve the problems. It is utterly natural that there exits problems in such a country which have developed for only about 55 years just like China(just think about the time which US or japan have been developed).Actually I admit that China now do have many awful problems but we youth aspire strongly to build a powerful,free and civilized society.
at last,sorry but I still want to remind you that there are more and more what you called 'elites' coming China back ,it seems that you don't know china very well.for me,I love the customs all the world, and like to make friends with some humorous and funny guys.Welcome to china,Steve K,but don't mention anything bored,take it easy,my nabs
D2R2   Monday, November 29, 2004, 12:41 GMT
Tommi,

Actually, i don't know if Occidental countries are the best place to leave : unemployment, social security dead in most of our country...

Can you in China be seen by a doctor if you don't not have any mony, is there a high percentage of unemployment in China?

China seems to be a wonderfull country
Steve K   Monday, November 29, 2004, 14:53 GMT
Tommi

You asked for opinions on China and I gave you mine. Next time do not ask for things you do not want.
Joe   Monday, November 29, 2004, 22:49 GMT
Tommi, how can you consider that China has only been developing for 55 years? Yes, under the current Communist government it's only been developing for 55 years. But China has thousands of years of history, it is one of the oldest civilizations on the planet.

The United States is one of the relative children in the world community, as we've been in existance as a nation for only 228 years. Even if you include the time of the colonies, the settlements in this country have been around only since the mid 1600s.

Japan, like China, is also very old. Pretty much I would say that of newly developed nations, you could list those former colonies in Africa, Asia, and South America and the Caribbean, as well as the newly democratic eastern european nations since many of them actually were only formed after WWI or WWII.

In the United States we have a ton of problems. But I don't really think China has anything to say about the United States and the Second Amendment when there exists practically no justice in the Chinese criminal justice system. A system where executed convicts' bodies are used for profit through the selling of organs.

Yes China is a wonderful country, but if you ask me, I think it's seen better days and will see better days in the future, but right now is a bit confused. I've never seen a communist country that is so capitalistic. It's a bit of an oxymoron.
Adam   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 00:24 GMT
Joe,

I think when Tommi said that China has only been developing for 55 years he is referring to industrial and economic development, not cultural development. China is a very old country culturally, but not so old as an emerging industrialized country. In fact, it still has a long way to go in that respect. Countries like the US started developing their industries more than 200 years ago, so I would say that you have a bit of a head start on China in that respect. Wouldn't you agree?
Joe   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 00:58 GMT
Adam,

I agree. It can't really be argued otherwise. From a purely economic standpoint, China is a very new nation. It could be said that the same goes for China politically, as its current governmental system only came into being 55 years prior.

Japan only started its industries recently in comparison to Western nations as well, however it's quite clear how fast it's taken off. The same can be said for Korea.
Adam   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 01:15 GMT
Joe,

You are right that Japan and Korea started there economic development around the same time as China did, Korea even later. Unfortunately for China, however, they had to endure the cultural revolution and many other seemingly backward decisions made by their government. Hopefully the move toward a more capitalist economy will not only spur economic, but also political and cultural growth. I think that if things are done right in the coming years, China will have a chance at catching up with Korea or even Japan. It still remains to be seen whether or not things will be done right, only time will tell.
Steve K   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 01:15 GMT
China has had spurts of economic development at different times in different areas of the country throughout the last century and longer. I do not think Chinese economic development can be considered to have started 1949. I do not write off the pre-"liberation" period. Since 1980 we have seen really strong growth. It is possible that with these policies in place in 1949 China would be an economic superpower today.
Adam   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 01:18 GMT
Steve,

You're right, we cannot right of the pre-liberation period. I would just say that the vast majority of economic development has happened since 1949.
Adam   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 03:50 GMT
should've said 'write off', not right of
Tommi   Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 04:52 GMT
Steve,
first of all,thanks for your opinions of china,sincerely.However,it's all true and natural of what I said.