The best way to spell ''wh'' words in a phonemic spelling reform.

Freeman   Wednesday, December 08, 2004, 23:06 GMT
Some proposals suggest respelling ''wh'' as ''hw''. I don't like that. In my Scottish accent the ''wh'' in ''whine'' is pronounced as a voiceless ''w'' not a ''hw''. The best way to spell ''wh'' words in a phonemic spelling reform (if one were to happen) would be to keep the ''wh'' diagraph or to add a new letter for the voiceless ''w''. Would you agree?
Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 00:01 GMT
I agree. Here's another reason. Most of us (including me) pronounce "wh" and "w" the same way. By the looks of "wh" it seems that pronouncing it /w/ is okay, not so for "hw". I makes sense for us (who pronounce "wh" as /w/) that the "wh" words be listed with the "w" words in dictionaries. I'm sure someone is about to bring up the "Huang River".

Of course, the "wh" in "who", "whore", "whole", etc. is a different story.
Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 00:17 GMT
Why do you think someone is about to bring up the Huang River?
Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 00:25 GMT
We could also just add that upside down ''w'' letter for /W/. How would that be? I think it looks a bit like an ''m''. Is that bad?
Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 00:32 GMT
It's happened so often in the past when "wh" vs. "hw" has been discussed: inductive reasoning. However since I've already mentioned it things may well be different this time.

The upside-down "w" does look a bit like "m", yes, and I'd say that is bad. It's better to use an upside-down "m". This looks like a "w". "Mis"pronounce /W/ as /w/ and that's no big problem. Mispronounce /W/ as /m/ and it is a big problem.
Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 02:25 GMT
''It's happened so often in the past when "wh" vs. "hw" has been discussed: inductive reasoning. However since I've already mentioned it things may well be different this time.''

Well, it's another reason why replacing ''wh'' with ''hw'' is a bad idea. If we replaced ''wh'' with ''hw'' then what would we do with ''Huang River'' which actually starts with /hw/? i.e. /hwa:N riv..r/.
Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 02:29 GMT
Here's what I say (This is something I told Erimir) ''hw'' for ''wh'' is a bad idea unless you'll be consistant and also replace ''sh'' with ''hs'', ''th'' with ''ht'' etc.
Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 02:37 GMT
''The upside-down "w" does look a bit like "m", yes, and I'd say that is bad. It's better to use an upside-down "m". This looks like a "w". "Mis"pronounce /W/ as /w/ and that's no big problem. Mispronounce /W/ as /m/ and it is a big problem.''

I'd agree that using an upside-down ''m'' would be better. If someone mispronounced ''when'' as ''men'' or ''whine'' as ''mine'' then they'd get a strange look in Scotland (and elsewhere too, I'd think).