get in touch=get in reach???

Hahoo   Sunday, December 12, 2004, 09:05 GMT
Could you say "he tried to get in touch with us to ask us about the test, but he couldn't find us" meaning that he tired to get it reach with us.
Someone   Sunday, December 12, 2004, 20:00 GMT
Yes, "get in touch" is fine, but "get in reach" is wrong. "Get in reach" would be used like this: He tried to get in reach of the lamp by stepping onto a stool.
Steve K   Sunday, December 12, 2004, 20:17 GMT
I can never undrstand why some learners like to compare an expression that exists in English with one that they make up and does not exist.

Hahoo, where have you seen the expression "he tried to get in reach with us"? Probably you have not. Why not just stick to phrases that you have encountered in a meaningful context.

And another point- when asking this kind of question try to provide a full paragraph of context. That would eliminate the non-English phrases since there would be no context for phrases that do not exist. In fact a paragraph of context might turn up the expression "he tried to reach us" which is perhaps what you meant in the first place.
Miguel   Sunday, December 12, 2004, 21:46 GMT
What about "be in touch" I'll be in touch with you
Hahoo   Monday, December 13, 2004, 15:48 GMT
Steve K,
I don't think you have to understand why we like to make up expressions that don't exist in English, I mean it's not the end of the word if you don't, right?
As for you question, I just read that sentence in an email I got from a NATIVE SPEAKER, it didn't make sense to me, that's why I asked, I'm sure this forum is not the wrong place to ask about English phrases. Anyways, here's the full sentence
"Did he even try contacting CSA? By phone or by e-mail? Because all you
said was he tried to get in reach with them"
So Steve K, if you don't feel like answering a question, or don't know the answert, plz feel free to say so.

P.S. Hey guys, does anyone know where Mi5 or Damian or any of these nice ppl disapeared?
Steve K   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 02:18 GMT
Hahoo,

I apologize for jumping on your post. It is just that I have often seen this kind of question elsewhere. But you are right in asking the question and pointing out that my reply was not very friendly.
Hahoo   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 08:52 GMT
no troubles dude ;)