What's wrong with this sentence

Vee   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 07:10 GMT
Is the sentence "English is spoken in all over the world." grammaticaly correct? Why or why not?
Someone   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 07:35 GMT
It isn't. The correct sentence is ""English is spoken all over the world."
Bill   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 07:49 GMT
The idiomatic phrase "all over" is usually used as an adverb. But in the sentence in question, "all over" is used as a preposition to mean "throughout." Thus...

"English is spoken in all over the world" is grammatically incorrect because two prepositions are being used in succession. That's a no-no. Pick one or the other ("in" or "all over", but not both).
Vee   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 05:23 GMT
Thank you so very much. I searched and searched "all over" the internet for help with this dilema. By the way, how do you know so much about grammar? I'm inquiring because eventhough I'm a native English speaker, I am trying to teach myself English grammar. So if you, or anyone else, know about any websites or books that might help me on my quest, please post (see, I probably used way too many commas in that sentence).
rich7   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 06:01 GMT
I'm no a native but it seems to me that the two first sentences shuld be connected by a comma instead of a colon.
Paul   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 06:05 GMT
You should know these things as a native speaker.
Tiffany   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 17:21 GMT
You should! You knew it was wrong when you heard it, right? Are you just looking for an exact reason?
Vee   Friday, February 18, 2005, 04:58 GMT
The question was first asked by a non-native speaker. I then posted the question on this message board so that I wouldn't just tell her it was wrong but to also give her the exact reason as to why it was wrong.