Is it right?

Anita   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 16:24 GMT
Most people say 'an MBA' . Shouldn't it be 'a MBA' as the letter 'M' isn't a vowel?
Tiffany   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 16:37 GMT
The letter M, when pronounced as the letter (ex. saying the alphabet) and not as a consonant at the beginning of a word, is said "Em". Acronyms like MBA are said by just saying each letter. Thus "MBA" is pronounced "Em-bee-yay", a word that starts with a vowel, so therefore "an" not "a" is the article that proceeds it.
lucky   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 20:19 GMT
right, it's the sound or how we read it that determines the use of article. Not the apperance.

I guess this is gradually developed to make pronunciations easy and smooth as time passes. That's the way it goes. That's how languages are.
Travis   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 20:21 GMT
Well, what happened is that originally the indefinite article was always "an" in Middle English, but then the /n/ at the end started getting dropped, but not before vowel phonemes, simply because that'd require the insertion of a glottal stop (which would eliminate any of the "benefit" of dropping the /n/).
Travis   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 20:30 GMT
A far more recent thing that is similar to such is the common pronounciation of "of" in American English when it is following another word. At least here, it *usually* gets incorporated into the preceding word as a enclitic which is just /@/, but if there's another word following it which starts with a vowel phoneme, the enclitic is often /@v/ instead, for reasons similar to why "a" alternates with "an".
Deborah   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 20:35 GMT
It seems to me that when I was young, "a" was used before "MBA" in writing, but we'd read it as "an." Now I mostly see "an," which I like, since it makes sense to write it as it's said.