What Do You Know About Loan Words In Languages?

Joaquin   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 02:44 GMT
JGreco said: >>Don't forget Chicken Adobo, Adobo is also used as a term in many Latin American cuisines. I mention this because the chicken and pork Adobo varieties are two of my favourite dishes that I get from are local Filipino restaurants in my home town.<<

Ah, of course! How could I have forgotten adobo?! That's practically the national dish. I also forgot menudo, but that's not one of my favorite dishes.
greg   Friday, April 22, 2005, 18:04 GMT
Brennus : <badloque> is really funny. I'll ckeck it.
Brennus   Friday, April 22, 2005, 21:52 GMT
Greg,

Je ne rigole pas. C'est vrai. / I'm not kidding. It's for real.
greg   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 07:35 GMT
I know you're serious. I just meant I'll check context, register and all that.
tofu tofu   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 16:10 GMT
Don't know if these count -
Long time no see is from Chinese.
Game over is from Japanese PS/PC game.
Sander   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 17:47 GMT
Ive always disliked the word "manager" in the dutch busnius talking...

But now its a whole new verb!

Ik manage.
Jij managet
Hij managet.
Wij managen.
Jullie managen.
Zij managen.

Ik heb gemanaged.

It just sounds idiotic!

Because we have a perfectly normal dutch word for "manager" which is "bedrijfsleider".
x   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 18:07 GMT
this is only to get rid of the spammer
Brennus   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 21:17 GMT
Tofu Tofu,

Re: Long time no see is from Chinese.
Game over is from Japanese PS/PC game.

They do count but are what linguists call "loan translations." French gratte-ciel and German Wolkenkratz for "skyskraper" (based on the English word) are two of the most common examples of loan translations that linguists like to cite.

There are many more. For example, the Russian word for 'linguistics', jazykoznanije is a loan translation from German Sprachwissenschaft (speech-knowledge-ship) while the former East German Traktorenstation "tractor park" and Forschungskosmonaut "research cosmonaut" were a loan translations from the Russian statsija traktorov and nauchno-kosmonaft.
Sander   Sunday, April 24, 2005, 06:51 GMT
"skyskraper" = gratte-ciel = Wolkenkratz

Yes,in Dutch we use "Wolkenkrabber" (but mainly for the buildings in the US) here in Hollands we call them "Flats".Still its a very good example about loanwords!(though translated)
Lazar   Sunday, April 24, 2005, 07:25 GMT
<<Game over is from Japanese PS/PC game.>>

Don't forget "All your base..."!
Rowena   Monday, April 25, 2005, 07:25 GMT
Hello, Joaquin!
OMG! I wrote something similar to what you posted here about Tagalog. It's in the "Who does not love his native language and why?" thread. Not to say that I don't love my native language, I happen to think that's very beautiful. I just don't like the direction it's taking.
Rowena   Monday, April 25, 2005, 07:36 GMT
For anyone who's interested <ME!>. I just found this (old) article on loan words in the Filipino language. It made me wonder about percentages of loan words in English and other languages. Do any of you speak languages that are similarly eclectic, i.e. coming from different language families?

A big percentage of the entries in the official Filipino dictionary issued in 1991 by the Commission on Filipino Language were foreign loan words. Specifically, Spanish words account for 5,210 words followed by English (1,907), Chinese (232), Malay (176 words), Latin (70), French (46), Sanskrit (29), Arabic (28), German (25), Mexican (20), and Japanese (13).

There are also 7 words each from the Indonesian and Italian languages, 2 words each from the Argentinian, Australian, Hawaiian, Javanese and Swish languages. One word each came from Aztec, Czechoslovakian, Finish, Greek, India, and Russian languages.

About 55% of the words integrated into Filipino comes from the major dialects in the Philippines, namely: Bicol (301 words), Cebuano (526 words), Hiligaynon (564 words), Ilocano (122 words), Kapampangan (51 words), Pangasinan (82 words), Old Tagalog / Tagalog (8,463 words), and Samar-Leyte (459 words).

There are also 328 Tausug words, 222 words from the Maranao dialect, 99 words from Maguindanao, 23 words from Samal, 16 words from the Tingian, 12 words from Isneg and another 12 words from Tagbanua.

The noted Spanish linguist, Antonio Quilis asserts that the two major Filipino languages, Visaya and Tagalog, has a Spanish content of at least 20% while other sources including the Spanish newspaper "El Pais" estimates the Spanish word content of Visayas and Tagalog at 25%.
Gerry   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 19:46 GMT
Rowena,
Is Spanish spoken in the Phillipines? I've noticed that Filipinos have Hispanic names. If so, are there big differences in how Spanish is spoken there and the Castilian spoken in Spain?
Frances   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:27 GMT
Rowena - interesting article. I was just thinking it must be so easy to get a loan word in a language, for example "kangaroo" would be an "Australian" loan word and "pizza" would be an Italian loanword.