the word "noon"

andre in usa   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 19:48 GMT
I have heard that the word "noon" sounds antiquated to British ears, but I'm wondering if they have an equivalent to this word. Or is it just 12:00? How would one distinguish between noon and midnight, if one wanted to?
Chamonix   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 20:14 GMT
by saying noon or midnight or simple 12:00PM or respectevely 12:00AM.
Kirk   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 20:51 GMT
Oh, I wasn't aware that such a common word in the US sounds antiquated to British ears.
Ori   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 21:25 GMT
They say "midday", if I'm not mistaken.
Deborah   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 21:31 GMT
I was wondering whether they used "midday" instead of noon. I use it, but to refer to the hours around noon, not noon specifically,
Ori   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 21:51 GMT
I have just checked in Oxford dictionary. And yes, midday is 12 o'clock in the day.
Frances   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 21:55 GMT
We say all noon all the time in Australia. I'm surprised to hear that it is antiquated in UK
Deborah   Friday, April 22, 2005, 01:22 GMT
Ori, I know that midday means noon, but in the US, we generally use noon. However, I would say something like "I try to avoid the midday sun", and I don't mean only right at 12:00.
Joel   Friday, April 22, 2005, 02:41 GMT
I hardly hear fellow kiwis say 'noon' by it self as a point in time but say '12 noon' or '12 midday' . Dont word we wont ever say '1,2,etc noon' What else can you indicate that it is '12 noon'? I would say 'half sun' as well. Any others?
Joel   Friday, April 22, 2005, 02:42 GMT
Typo 'worry' not 'word' in the second line
frances   Friday, April 22, 2005, 02:45 GMT
Both "noon" and "12 noon" is used in Aust.
Joel   Friday, April 22, 2005, 03:04 GMT
It is amazing have close we are (NZ and OZ) the common history and how our own little local languages develop over the years. Who know Frances we may dont understand each other in a generation or two....

Hey Frances on a another topic between us who do you think between OZ and NZ become a republic first?

I personally think we may become a republic first. Our Government had started by removing withdrawing our highest court from the UK and at the moment of changing the flag removing the British Jack of it.
Joel   Friday, April 22, 2005, 03:05 GMT
Typo typo sorry
Deborah   Friday, April 22, 2005, 03:55 GMT
We also say 12 noon in the US.
Jim   Friday, April 22, 2005, 04:14 GMT
I'd be surprised to hear that "noon" sounds antiquated to Poms to. It sounds fine to me but I'd also use "midday".

Joel,

There is a possibility that neither Oz nor NZ ever become a republic. It's been almost two decades since you were able to appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council from Australia. The movement to change the Aussie flag has also been going for a very long time but, of course, you can change to flag and not become a republic, c.f. Canada. The republican movement has a long history to. However, Aussies have recently voted against one republican proposal.