The French language is in dramatic decline

Adam   Monday, April 25, 2005, 09:17 GMT
Why French teachers have the blues

The French language is in dramatic decline around the world, including in its traditional foreign heartlands, according to international language teachers recently gathered in Paris. François Buglet reports.

French is disappearing from European classrooms in favour of English
The predominance of English on the internet, the relative ease of learning basic English and the perception that English is "cooler" - thanks in large part to popular music and films - means French is becoming ever more restricted to older generations and the upper classes of many countries where it used to be the second language of choice in schools.

That was the consensus among language teachers from across the globe who gathered in Paris in early February for the Expolangues trade fair, dedicated to language teaching, learning and translating.

[The site fittingly illustrates Francophony's predicament. Although sponsored by the French and held in Paris the site for this polyglot fair comes in only two flavors, French, bien sûr -- and English.]

"Some among us see a sort of victory in this. But personally, I side with a campaign in the British press against our deficit in learning languages," said Julie Squires, a Briton who teaches French at Oxford House College.

In Britain, she said, much of the problem lies with a recent government decision to make a second language optional for pupils aged 14 years and older.

Twenty years ago everybody spoke French in Spain but in Burgos now French teachers outnumber students!
She pointed to a study which showed that, across British schools, 72 percent registered a decline in the number of students learning French. German studies declined in 70 percent of the schools, while Spanish declined by just 44 percent.

A teacher from Germany's Goethe-Institut, Christina Trojan, said "French remains a beautiful language much appreciated by the upper class" but it was losing ground in curricula, even in areas near the French-German border.

French was still holding up compared to Italian and Spanish, but that may gradually change.

"Given the difficulty of the grammar and spelling, many prefer not to take up French," she said.

Only Japanese teachers talked of the future of French with enthusiasm
A teacher from the Spanish town of Burgos, Julia Martinez, said most of her colleagues agreed that French was "in free fall".

"Twenty years ago, everybody spoke French in Spain. Today, in Burgos, there are more French teachers than students!"

A teacher from Portugal, Teresa Santos, said in her country 70 percent of Portuguese students preferred to take English courses, compared to just 10 percent for French.

"English is magnifique!" a teacher of Ancient Greek at the Aristotle University in Thessalonika, Thalia Stephanidou, said. "Even in poorer neighbourhoods, that language - which replaced French right after the second world war - is taught, even to old people," she said.

There's only one French school in Greece, and that's reserved for the elite
"My grandmother spoke French, my father too. Today though, there is only one French school in Greece, and that's reserved for the elite," she said.

Even in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, English has crowded French out of the classroom, despite French being one of the country's official languages.

In Russia, where speaking French was once a prized talent among the tsars, French is trailing "far behind English" in Moscow and Saint Petersburg schools, Mascha Sveshnikova, of the Russian Cultural Centre, said.

David Fein, the head of the Alliance Française in the US city of San Diego, said French studies was part of the collateral damage suffered in the transatlantic fall-out resulting from the US decision to invade Iraq, but now it looked as though pupils were slowly returning.

Only two Japanese teachers talked of the future of French with enthusiasm, with one of them saying that the luxurious images the language conjured up were its best advertisement.

"Only two Japanese teachers talked of the future of French with enthusiasm, with one of them saying that the luxurious images the language conjured up were its best advertisement.

French, she said, evoked "dreams, fashion, history, cooking and wine."

February 2005

© AFP

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?channel_id=4&story_id=16980

---------------------------------------------------------

Some comments made by people on the "Pave France - The British Need More Parking" website -

The merits and difficulties of the French language aside, France might want to consider her mother tongue's decline in light of its association with, well, France and everything that is French, and that, in a world trending toward democratic ideals, French snobbism has zero cachet.

The decline of French, the very haecceity of Frenchness, helps us understand why when the French look to the future it is usually in the direction of the 19th century.

Damian

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hardly surprising. English is a natural, living language whereas French is as artificial as Esperanto and will soon enough be as living as Latin.

Jay

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reminded of a true story.

Me, innocently: "I was watching a documentary in which a very elderly Chinese was being interviewed, and they were speaking French. I was a little surprised as I might have thought his European tongue would have been English, although I would of course have expected a Vietnamese to speak French as a European language."

Pompous Acadian idiot: "All civilized people speak French as their second language".

Me, not so innocently: "And English as their first".

Son of a Pig and Monkey

------------------------------------------------------------------

www.pavefrance.com
JJM   Monday, April 25, 2005, 09:36 GMT
"English is a natural, living language whereas French is as artificial as Esperanto..."

This statement is utter tosh. French is no less and no more a l"natural, living language" than English is.

It's interesting how people can get away with such spurious statements in a way that would never be considered acceptable if they were discussing race, for example.

There's no doubt that, relative to English, French APPEARS to be facing decline at the moment. However, remember two things:

1. This decline seems gradual. Millions and millions of French speakers aren't abandoning the language overnight. Even projecting into the future statistically (always a dodgy business), French is going to be around for a long, long time to come.

2. This has nothing to do with the intrinsic qualities of French. Neither English nor French are "better" languages.
greg   Monday, April 25, 2005, 15:08 GMT
Adam : I don't even bother to read your 'contribution' because I think it's typical of someone in decline.

If you just summed up others' work to show A) that you're not lazy B) that you're able to formulate an opinion C) that you wouldn't object to sparing some bandwidth, that would be major step beyond.

That said, French isn't in decline, on the contrary. It's alive and kicking and there had never been so many Francophones until 2005.
Easterner   Monday, April 25, 2005, 16:26 GMT
The idea of French being in decline seems to be a continuous piece of wishful thinking of some (!) English speakers (based on some comments included in the original post). It is true, French is less of an "international language" than English (it has not so many native speakers, for example), but it is still one of the most important languages in Europe, and as I know, it is among the 10 most spoken languages worldwide. You would also be lost without French in most parts of Africa (I have known some Africans, and a knowledge of French has been very useful with all of them). So what are we talking about?

P.S. I'm an Anglophile but also a Francophile, the two do not necessarily exlude each other.
Joel   Monday, April 25, 2005, 16:41 GMT
I agree with Greg
Jordi   Monday, April 25, 2005, 16:57 GMT
I agree with both Greg and Easterner (and Joel, of course).
nico   Monday, April 25, 2005, 20:03 GMT
Well guys, as a french man i would like to give you my point of view.

Are danish, swedish, german, catalan, flemmish, italian....dying ?

Not necessary to give you an answer, so why is there all the time that "polemic" about the french language which's dying ?!

Of course french is not spoken around the world like english and spanish are, but i don't think french is dying "pour autant".

I like to speak english when i meet some people who does not know any word of french but when i am going to see my friends (who are not all french) i usually use my native language, when i speak to my father, mother, brother, son... i usually use the french, when i do to the supermarket i do the same....

And when i meet some people (arrogant) who want me to speak english i usually speak FRENCH, i am not an exception, so if we think the majority of french, francophone use the french when they meet some arrogant people, believe me : FRENCH WON'T DIE TODAY !

Long life to all of our languages and our cultures.
greg   Monday, April 25, 2005, 20:19 GMT
nico : " Of course french is not spoken around the world like english and spanish are, but i don't think french is dying "pour autant" ".

I agree with you. Somehow French is spoken all around the world. Not as widely as Spanish, Portuguese or English. But you may find native Francophones in Europe, in Africa, in America, in Oceania and in Asia (if you merge Levant and Indochina in a geographical category).
greg   Monday, April 25, 2005, 20:23 GMT
I forgot a confetti called New Caledonia (close to Australia). Sorry Nouméa.
Adam L.   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:09 GMT
That is dissapointing to hear. I wish Napoleon would have never sold Lousiana to the U.S to prevent this global consolidation of the English language.
Brennus   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:47 GMT

Re: The French language is in dramatic decline?

In the short run, yes. French is a language which has past it's prime, like Spanish. However, it could experience some kind of a renaissance in the distant future; a sort of silver or bronze age. Greek began declining in the third century B.C. but returned in Koine form six centuries later as the language of a revitalized Byzantine Empire . French could make a similar comeback some day as the dominant language of a temporarily United Europe stretching from the Atlantic to the Urals after the glory days of the United States have passed. History repeats itself.
JJM   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 10:38 GMT
"French could make a similar comeback some day as the dominant language of a temporarily United Europe stretching from the Atlantic to the Urals after the glory days of the United States have passed."

Assuming of course - based on current European birthrates - there are any Europeans left in Europe.
Damian   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 11:26 GMT
**temporarily United Europe**

Two operative words......

Temporarily: highly possible, maybe probable.

United???....bit of a joke at the moment....a quick peek at some of these threads will show that.
greg   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 12:37 GMT
Damian : "United???....bit of a joke at the moment....a quick peek at some of these threads will show that".
You're too pessimistic. You may find such spats even within each and every European country. We call that 'clochemerle', in French.

JJM : "Assuming of course - based on current European birthrates - there are any Europeans left in Europe".
I don't know for other countries, but the populations of France and the UK are not shrinking.
Damian   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 13:42 GMT
GREG:

Pessimism: You are right in this case.....normally I'm basically by nature a happy and optimistic guy in life generally.....nothing would be nicer than to see a truly united Europe...so many Languages and cultures and lifestyles bonded as one in harmony. I just get a bit disheartened when I read, see or hear what I do in the media.

It was a surprise really to see some of this revealed as some sort of "Language civil war" in some threads in here. It's a wee bit intense to be honest, and certainly more so, I think, than the Celtic/Anglo Saxon "divide" within this country. That's the reason I said what I did. Some people are vehemently anti EU here...(especially in England)....I'm not one of them. My job is to report what I see and hear and read and discover.

To quote the Bard himself I'm sure it will be a case of: "All's well that ends well!"

See...I am an optimist. I'll have to perservere in objectivity.