Salmon and Salmonella

Wade   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 00:33 GMT
How do you pronounce these words?

I've always pronounced 'salmon' as /saem..n/ (no 'l') but lately I've been hearing native English speakers pronounce the 'l'. There was also a restaurant commercial on television the other day, and the announcer clearly pronounced the 'l'. Is the regional thing?

Also, because I don't pronounce the 'l' in 'salmon', I tend not to pronounce it 'salmonella' either. But according to my dictionary, that first 'l' isn't silent. Do you guys pronounce the 'l'?
Tiffany   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 00:37 GMT
Yup. (Grew up in Miami, Florida)
Tiffany   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 00:42 GMT
Yes I pronounce the "l" in salmonella, that is. No, I don't pronounce it in "salmon"
Kirk   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 00:47 GMT
I don't know if it's a regional thing or a spelling pronunciation for people to use /l/ in "salmon" but I hear it occasionally with the /l/. I'm from California and have always said [sæmIn] for "salmon." I would say that's still the pronunciation the vast majority of people here use. I have [sælm@nEl@] for "salmonella," however.

I know this isn't a common word, but how do people pronounce "salve?" I grew up saying [sæ:v] (so it rhymes with "halve" and "have" for me), which is apparently a traditional pronunciation of it. I've heard /l/ in it in other people's speech (tho not always), almost surely do to it being a rare word, hence it's even more susceptible to getting a spelling pronunciation.
Tiffany   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 01:41 GMT
Salve is pronounced with the "l" for me.
Travis   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 03:20 GMT
I pronounce them as:

"salmon" : /"s{mIn/ --> ["s{~.mn=]
"salmonella" : /"s{mInEl@/ --> ["s{~.mI~.nE.5@]
"salve" : /s{v/ --> [s{:v]
Lazar   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 06:36 GMT
I pronounce as follows:

"samon": /s{m@n/
"salmonellla": /s{lm@nEl@/
"salve": /s{v/

So my pronunciation is the same as Travis' (excepting, of course, that I use /@/ where he uses /I/ - what's a little schwa-raising among friends, eh?)
Lazar   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 06:39 GMT
Oh wait, no, my pronunciation isn't the same as Travis', because I pronounce the L in "salmonella".
Lazar   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 06:42 GMT
I also misspelled "salmon" in my first post. I need sleep. :-(
Travis   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 09:48 GMT
Lazar, I just tend to use /I/ in many, but not all places, where an unstressed /@/ (that is, what is not realized as [V]) is present. At least in the dialect here, /I/ seems to be preferred for a schwa-like role over /@/, and in many cases, certain words when used as suffixes and like have their original vowels replaced with /I/, such as "land" in country names, "son" or "sson" or "sen" in surnames, or "man" or "mann" in surnames. For example, "Iceland" is /"aIslInd/ --> ["@Is.5I~:nd] or ["@Is.5n=d], and "Johnson" is /"dZAnsIn/ --> ["dZA~:n.sI~:n] or ["dZA~:n.sn=].
Frances   Sunday, May 08, 2005, 10:16 GMT
I say "salmon" with no "l" and "salmonella" with an "l" (I'm from Australia)
D   Monday, May 09, 2005, 00:21 GMT
I pronounce the ell in salve and balm, and in salmonella, but not in salmon.
Morover, I pronounce salmon same as jammin' except for the j.
andre in usa   Monday, May 09, 2005, 02:55 GMT
My step-father's parents say "salmon" with the /l/ and they're from North Carolina. Maybe it's a southern thing. I say the /l/ in "salmonella" but not in "salmon." And I think I pronounce the /l/ in "salve" but maybe that's because I'm not very familiar with the word.
andre in usa   Monday, May 09, 2005, 04:39 GMT
Oh, while we're on subject of the pronunciation of /l/ in certain words, I pronounce the /l/ in "balm" and "palm." And yes, "salmon" rhymes with "jammin'."
Travis   Monday, May 09, 2005, 04:45 GMT
I intermittantly pronounce a /l/ (realized as [5]) in "balm" and "palm", even though I'm more likely to pronounce such in "palm" than in "balm".

Without the /l/, they are:
"balm" : /bOm/ --> [bO~:m]
"palm" : /pOm/ --> [p_hO~:m]

and with the /l/, they are:
"balm" : /bOlm/ --> [bO:5m]
"palm" : /pOlm/ --> [p_hO:5m]

In both cases, for me, both forms are "right", and often I'm not sure which form to really use, except that when speaking normally, I tend towards the /l/-less forms.