The Pacific Northwest Accent (US)

Ben   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 13:26 GMT
Kirk,

Really? I've generally found the opposite to be the case, although I've been told that the specific vowel that caught/cot merges into is one of the few aspects of Canadian English that tends to vary greatly from place to place. I refer to [O] as the "Canadian Pronunciation" simply because it's much more standard in that country that the US (it also appears to be the "broadcast standard" from watching CBC news).
Lazar   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 19:45 GMT
Kirk:

Not to confuse you or anything, but I think I will start using [Q] rather than [O] when transcribing the rounded Eastern New England "cot-caught" vowel.
Lazar   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 19:53 GMT
While I'm on phonetic transcription, I should also mention [A] and [a] in Eastern New England. Rhotic speakers like me tend to use [A] for their "long-A" phoneme, while non-rhotic speakers tend to use [a].

You can tell a non-rhotic Bostonian from a non-rhotic New Yorker because the Bostonian will pronounce "car" as [ka], while the New Yorker will say [kA].

So to summarize:

Rhotic ENE (like me):
father - [fAD@`]
bother - [bQD@`]

Non-rhotic ENE:
father - [faD@]
bother - [bQD@]
Kirk   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 23:31 GMT
Ben, you're probably right in that there's a lot of regional variation on that sound in Canada. I guess I was just speaking from personal experience--I have relatives in BC and Toronto and they seem to be "cot-caught" merged with [A]. My grandparents on one side of my family were also born and raised in Canada before immigrating to the US, and they were "cot-caught" merged with [A], as well.

Oh, ok, Lazar. Thanks for letting me know you're changing your transcription practices slightly. Are you doing it to avoid confusion or is there another reason?
Lazar   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 02:44 GMT
<<Are you doing it to avoid confusion or is there another reason?>>

From what I've read, the consensus seems to be to transcribe it as /Q/ rather than /O/. I think it does sound a *little* different from the GA vowel in "caught".
Ben   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 19:25 GMT
Actually, Lazar, the New York accent goes even further, often turning "father" into /fQD@/ and "car" into /kQ:/.

I agree about using /Q/ for "bother," and here's why: if you listen to a typical Northeastern New Englander, he will pronounce the word "top" with a more rounded vowel than in General American (tQp). But he will pronounce words like "cost" and "dog" with a vowel that is actually slightly broader than the GenAm vowel /O/. This is partially why people pronounce "Boston" as "BAH-ston" when sending up the Boston dialect--where GenAm would say /bOst@n/, ENE says /bQston/--a very minute but present difference.
greg   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 22:48 GMT
Saved.
Down with the troll!!!!!!!!!!!!   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 22:58 GMT
Connard!
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 22:51 GMT
Kirk and Ben:
Forget what I wrote about rhotic ENE-speakers using [A]. Now that I think about it, we tend to use [a], just like the non-rhotic speakers.