Scots - Dialect or Language

Travis   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 16:20 GMT
Jim, I understand the part about one normally not changing the grammar about, but I did such just to answer Brennus's point, that is, that one couldn't make a version of Pater Nostre for the English spoken natively, say, here in southeastern Wisconsin. By not only just changing the pronunciations, but also changing the grammar to fit that which'd be more likely to be actually used in speech here for most "normal" uses, I was just pointing out that one very well can create a version of Pater Nostre for the dialect here that isn't just a matter of marking pronunciation alone, if one really wants to.
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 11:31 GMT
In Hungarian 'persze' is used to mean 'of course' too, just like in Dutch. But in English it is used with a different meaning, as someone mentioned.

Hmmm.
Kazoo   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 12:12 GMT
per se = necessarily
Adam   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 18:57 GMT
"Per se" is Latin.

If we say "It is not tiring work, per se" it just means "it is not tiring work, as such."
Damian   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 19:07 GMT
It could simply mean "as such" or "in itself"

Latin phrases are frequently used: ad hoc ex gratia pro tem status quo or just simply "eg for exempli gratia et cetera et cetera et cetera....
Jim   Friday, June 03, 2005, 07:27 GMT
Travis,

I thought that that had been the case. What puzzles me is how he came up with such an idea.

Brennus,

How did you?
Tyrone   Friday, June 03, 2005, 08:46 GMT
Brennus. Please. Spare us all. Now I'm in training to become a professional historian, rather than a simple layman, and even I find your statements to be absurd.

I'd respond more, but Kirk, Travis, and Jim all seem to be arguing with at least a modicum of logic. It's a shame that you're not.

However, I've decided that you, Damian, are quite a wit, and I suddenly wish I was having a ridiculous conversation over a pint with you in Scotland, the last bastion of a free third dialect of English. (*polite snicker, as pretentiously as I can muster*).
Kirk   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:00 GMT
<<However, I've decided that you, Damian, are quite a wit, and I suddenly wish I was having a ridiculous conversation over a pint with you in Scotland, the last bastion of a free third dialect of English. (*polite snicker, as pretentiously as I can muster*).>>

Sounds fun...can I come too? We should also make sure to invite a couple Cockney speakers so we can hear the three English dialects together in their triumvirate of glory.
Travis   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:07 GMT
Ich muß sagen, daß ich kein "Queen's English" überhaupt sprechen, deshalb kann ich dann nicht kommen.
Kirk   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:12 GMT
<<Ich muß sagen, daß ich kein "Queen's English" überhaupt sprechen, deshalb kann ich dann nicht kommen.>>

It's ok. You can still come. We'll figure out one of the three dialects to pigeonhole you into. Maybe you'll realize you speak the Queen's English as we apparently do in Caifornia.
Tyrone   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:28 GMT
Kirk,

Um, I see you on a daily basis as is. In fact, I just spoke to you in the living room not thirty minutes ago. This is insane. =)
Travis   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:33 GMT
Ich muß sagen, daß ich es spaßig finde, wann Leute, die einander in dem wirklichen Leben kennen, miteinander über das Internet reden.
Kirk   Friday, June 03, 2005, 09:40 GMT
<<...wann Leute, die einander in dem wirklichen Leben kennen, miteinander über das Internet reden.>>

Yeah, Tyrone's a real loser :)