which language should I learn : spanish/french ?

leila   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 08:52 GMT
hi, I'm new.
I'd like you to help me :
which language should I learn : Spanish or French ?
Which is the easiest ? or the most interesting ?
mjd   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 08:56 GMT
This is really a matter of opinion. Dabble in each one (grammar, literature, etc.) and see which one you like better. I don't really get questions like these. I mean you should study what you're interested in.
Kirk   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 09:05 GMT
If you really can't pick, just have the long-term plan to learn both. Honestly, once you learn one the other comes pretty easily.
Adam   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:17 GMT
Spanish.
bernard   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:23 GMT
I'm french, I like my language, but I think you'd better learn Spanish first. especially if you live in the american continent where spanish is a dominant language. Spanish is spoken in many differents countries and in different continents, french too but in a smaller proportion.
I think Spanish is a bit simplier too for foreigners.
Kirk   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:36 GMT
I too think Spanish is somewhat easier for English speakers to grasp, but, really French isn't *that* much harder. And Spanish still definitely requires some work if you're unfamiliar with Romance verb paradigms and grammatical constructions. That's one reason why if you already know a Romance language it's not too hard to pick up another--so, if you end up learning Spanish or French and still want to pick up the other afterwards, it'll be considerably easier than it was making the plunge into your first one. At least that was my experience with French, which I learned after Spanish. Even with a few idiosyncrasies (and what language doesn't have them?) I found French pretty easy to get a grasp of after doing Spanish and I've heard the reverse to be true as well. Go for what makes you most curious to learn now (or what you think is most useful at this point in your life), and then move from there :)
:-?   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:40 GMT
Spanish
bernard   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:45 GMT
ater you've learn spanish and french you should learn italian.. you'll see how easy it is when you know the two others.
Italian is not very usefull but it is the most beautiful romance language
leila   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 10:45 GMT
thanks.
I'm Irish.
I think spanish looks easier than french... but I don't really know which one I should learn...maybe, as you say, spanish.
*   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 11:03 GMT
In some respects, Spanish is easier than French
Spanish is what I like to call a phonetic language, meaning that the rules of orthography are very close to the rules of pronunciation. Each Spanish vowel has a single pronunciation and although consonants may have two or more, there are very specific rules regarding their usage, depending on where the letter is in the word and what letters are around it. There are some trick letters, like the silent H and the identically-pronounced B and V, but all in all Spanish pronunciation and spelling are pretty straightforward. In comparison, French has many silent letters and multiple rules with plenty of exceptions, as well as liaisons and enchaînement which add additional difficulties to pronunciation and aural comprehension.
There are precise rules for the accentuation of Spanish words and accents to let you know when those rules are overridden, whereas in French accentuation goes by the sentence rather than the word.The fact is that once you've memorized the Spanish rules of pronunciation and accentuation, you can pronounce brand-new words with no hesitation. This is rarely the case in French (or English, for that matter).
The most common French past tense, the passé composé, is more difficult than Spanish's pretérito.* The pretérito is a single word, while the passé composé has two parts (auxiliary verb + past participle). The passé composé is just one of several French compound verbs** and the questions of auxiliary verb (avoir or être) and word order with these verbs are some of French's great difficulties.
*The true French equivalent of the pretérito, the passé simple, is a literary tense which French students are usually expected to recognize but not to use.
**Spanish compound verbs are much simpler: there is only one auxiliary verb and the two parts of the verb stay together, so word order is not a problem.
French's two-part negation ne... pas is more complicated in terms of usage and word order than Spanish's no.

In some respects, French is easier than Spanish
The Spanish subject pronoun is usually dropped, thus it is essential to have all verb conjugations memorized in order to recognize (as the listener) and express (as the speaker) which subject is performing the action. The French subject pronoun is always stated, which means that verb conjugations - while still important, of course - are not as vital to comprehension: your own or your listener's. In addition, French has just two words for you (singular/familiar and plural/formal), while Spanish has four (singular familiar, plural familiar, singular formal, and plural formal)
Actually, there are 5 - there's a different singular/familiar used in parts of Latin America with its own conjugations.
French has fewer verb tenses/moods than Spanish. French has a total of 15 verb tenses/moods, four of which are literary and rarely used, thus only 11 are used in daily French. Spanish has 17, one of which is literary (pretérito anterior) and two judicial/administrative (futuro de subjuntivo and futuro anterior de subjuntivo), which leaves 14 for regular use. Lots of conjugations!
The final straw, for me, is the subjunctive. While the subjunctive mood is the bane of students of both languages, it is more difficult and much more common in Spanish.
The French subjunctive is used almost solely after que, whereas the Spanish subjunctive is used regularly after many different conjunctions: que, cuando, como, etc.
There are two different sets of conjugations for the Spanish imperfect subjunctive and pluperfect subjunctive. You can choose just one set of conjugations to learn, but you must be able to recognize both.
Si clauses (If... then... clauses) are very similar in French and English but are more difficult in Spanish. Note the two subjunctive tenses that are used in the Spanish si clauses. In French these are literary tenses.

The use of prepositions in both languages can be difficult, as there is often little correlation between them and their English counterparts.
Confusing pairs abound in both:
French - c'est vs il est, encore vs toujours
Spanish - ser vs estar, por vs para
Both have the tricky two past-tense division (Fr - passé composé vs imparfait; Sp - pretérito vs imperfecto), two verbs that mean "to know," and the bon-bien, mauvais-mal (Fr) / bueno-bien, malo-mal (Sp) distinctions.
Both French and Spanish have reflexive verbs, numerous false cognates with English that can trip up non-native speakers of either language, and potentially confusing word order due to the positions of adjectives and object pronouns.
vincent   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 11:53 GMT
you should learn both at the same time, it's perfectly possible, I learnt aymara and quechua that way
leila   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 12:53 GMT
I think I'll learn both, you right.
thank you very much.
JVC   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 13:09 GMT
But not at the same time........
vincent   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 13:21 GMT
yes at the same time (but not exactly at the same moment)! you study french during an hour and spanish another hour. Just a question of organization
Sigma   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 14:55 GMT
Hi as a native spanish speaker (mexican) I would say that you must learn both at the same time, you can study one hour in the morning french and one hour in the evening spanish for example, the most important thing here is to NOT QUIT at least try to study a little everyday. Due to the similar structure of both lenguages is perfectly possible to learn both at the same time.

But I would suggest that u must take more effort to study french because I find the pronunciation a bit harder than spanish . The writings in both languages is so similar that is a piece of cake.

When u will realize u will have mastered both languages thus u will can communicate with a large amount of people in america and in europe.

Good luck
Buena suerte
Bonne chance

P.D. I apologize for my bad english.