British people and spreading of their l;anguage

quasimodo   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 17:01 GMT
British people must feel so proud that their language has become official language of world.
People everywhere want to learn english.
Are british people arrogant and proud about this fact?
How did this come to be? i think because america is speaking english. If america spoke french, then french would be official language?
Maybe americans feel proud and arrogant to spread the english language to rest of world, not the british people?
Damian in English speaking Scotland   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:05 GMT
By and large I don't think British people give a toss one way or the other really about the issue you've raised. If people elsewhere want to learn and speak their (main and official) Language... English... then they are perfectly at liberty to do so..if they don't, then that's fine by them. Life is all about choices and free will.

The one big problem would present itself when people from non-English speaking countries come to Britain. Unless they can make themselves understood to some degree then they will find life difficult, unless of course they meet someone who speaks their Language or any other Language all parties are conversant with.

Other than that, then, as I say, it could be a rough ride. That's when things like phrasebooks come in useful, and the fact that the British are *generally* (always exceptions of course) tolerant and easy going could be something in the visitors' favour. The British *generally* have a well developed sense of humour (again, most of them..always exceptions!) so funny situations that arise out of misunderstandings are always good for a laugh. I love 'em! :-)

I really don't think people in any part of the UK are truly arrogant, in spite of the many things that have been said in this Forum. It depends how you interpret the word. If many Brits (as they do) think that as so many people in other parts of the world ARE learning and speaking English anyway (as they are!) so there is no need to bother themselves with the necessity of learning any other Language (as they do...again not all!) because everyone will use English anyway (as most do...by the grace of God..who probably speaks English as well) and everyone will understand them (as most do) then...yes....the British CAN be considered arrogant.

C'est la vie!

:-)
Kirk   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:23 GMT
<<Maybe americans feel proud and arrogant to spread the english language to rest of world, not the british people? >>

I think like most UKers and others in the Anglosphere, Americans as a whole really couldn't care less about "spreading" English around the world. I would say most of what Damian in English speaking Scotland said could generally apply to Americans as well :)
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:25 GMT
Isnt it strange for a Brit that there's a country where more people speak 'its' language and is more powerfull then britain itself?
Travis   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:31 GMT
I myself really don't give the least crap about "spreading the English language to the rest of the world", and of course view its being spoken natively right here to just be an accident of history for that matter. Of course, though, my views on various Brits' views of, well, the English spoken here are another matter in themselves.
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:32 GMT
"spreading the English language to the rest of the world"

Hmm sounds like Manifest Destiny to me. ;)
bernard   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:51 GMT
Hmmm.... English speakers here seem not care about spreading english over the world....
But I have a question, in that case could you tell me why there is so much anglophones who get upset in France because we don't speak english and expect us to speak and understand their english at all price... ?

I think that you are the exception here, because (being in a languages forum) your are the anglophones who are interested in other cultures (excepted Adam)... But much of your compatriots aren't.
Travis   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:56 GMT
Sander, it's more the idea that they somehow still "own" the English language which some English people seem to hold that irritates me to no end.
Damian   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 19:57 GMT
***Isnt it strange for a Brit that there's a country where more people speak 'its' language and is more powerfull then britain itself?***

Why should it be strange, SANDER? Again, the average Brit doesn't give a tinker's cuss in the highly unlikely event of him or her even considering the point you raised! Why should we? They never think of it at all.....as long as everybody at Disneyworld or the Epcot Center speaks English, and they in turn can more or less make out a few intelligible words from broad Scouse or Geordie or whatever Brit twang they cross the Pond with, then everything's plain sailing. Likewise when they come over here.

What's with this "more powerful than Britain itself" thing then? Is this something we should be thinking about or even know about? If so...why? Most people here think we're "on the same side" remember!

As for the Brit view of the English spoken Stateside...that will always be subject to a mixture of emotions....on both sides.....but it's highly unlikely to lead to any outbreak of hostilities...fortunately for us if, as you say Sander, they are "more powerful than Britain itself". I read somewhere that in WW2 when Britain was threatened with invasion, a prominent writer was asked what he would do if the Germans landed and walked into his home. He said he would give them a very nasty look. That's about the very worst we would do to the Americans if they are "more powerful than Britain itself". :-)
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:03 GMT
Really Isnt it irritating to be 'out clased' by a former colony?
Damian   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:06 GMT
BERNARD...now you raise a point which truly does illustrate arrogance. If British people go OUT of their country then they really *should* be prepared to let go of their English and make at least an attempt to use the local Language. Of course, that applies to people from all other English speaking countries as well, not least of all the Americans who are no better than the Brits in this respect, that's for sure.

I've had arrogance thrown back in my face in Paris twice...I know I used perfect French when I asked opening questions, and each time I was responded to in English. Now that is also arrogance...in reverse.
Damian   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:07 GMT
Sander: now you are being silly. You need sorting out! :-)
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:11 GMT
Hehehe I know,btw you didnt capitalize my name. ;)
Travis   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:11 GMT
Sander, from a political and historical perspective, yes, what is now the US is politically descended from a set of colonies of what is now the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but such has very little relevance to matters here, nationalistic crap in history classes in grade school aside. While some British people may think of us as a "former colony", from the perspective here, though, there is very little attachment to the UK whatsoever in the first place, contrary to ideas of some sort of coherent "Anglosphere" or like.
Kirk   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 20:17 GMT
<<Hmmm.... English speakers here seem not care about spreading english over the world....
But I have a question, in that case could you tell me why there is so much anglophones who get upset in France because we don't speak english and expect us to speak and understand their english at all price... ?

I think that you are the exception here, because (being in a languages forum) your are the anglophones who are interested in other cultures (excepted Adam)... But much of your compatriots aren't>>

I would say just because we happened to be interested in languages doesn't make us the only people interested in other cultures--in my personal experience the native English speakers I know (and I know many, being an American) are very interested in other cultures and even a general interest in learning other languages (even if they never learn them that well). Despite negative stereotypes otherwise, I think the average English speaker *is* interested in other cultures, and many, when traveling to other countries (which does indeed show some interest in other cultures at least on some level) do attempt to learn at least something (phrases, words, etc) to facilitate basic communication and also as a gesture of goodwill. I've lived and traveled around several countries in Latin America and the majority of the English speakers (I knew Americans, Australians, Canadians and UKers) generally had good levels of Spanish and even those who weren't that great at Spanish (more likely to be shorter-term tourists) attempted to get by without English and were very open to different cultures, even if they couldn't understand much of what was being spoken around them. Probably only a small minority of these people could actually be classified as "language enthusiasts," but were quite open to new cultures and experiences.

Of course, that's just been my personal experience, but I doubt I'm the only one--sorry I can't speak for France since I've unfortunately never been (it's on my list, tho). Sure, there will always be unfortunate exceptions, and the people who expect everyone to cater to them hand and foot and are rude if they don't speak to them entirely in English are idiots.