Does this happen to anyone else?

Lo   Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
Ok so, this is about my intrusive R. Having grown up, mostly, in Boston, I have intrusive R (although lately it's been disappearing, but that's not the issue). I later moved to California, and I changed my accent. My /Q/ became /A/ my father and bother merged, my sorry and torrent merged, in short, I underwent all the mergers Californian English has. However, my intrusive R remained.
The thing is, I'm C-C merged. I say law like /lA/ and saw like /sA/. When I talk about the show "Law and Order," for instance, I say [lOr\@n Or\4@']. And when I say "I saw it yesterday" I say [aI sOr\It¬? jEst@'4EI]. My intrusive R makes /A/ turn into /O/ so I have [Or\] instead of [Ar\].
It's a quite weird feature, honestly, but does this happen to anyone else??
Travis   Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 pm GMT
I have noticed that some English dialects, including that the south side of the Milwaukee area here, have a shift of historical /A/ (here /a/) to [Q] or [O] before /r/. My guess that what is going on in such dialects is that /r/ in them is rounded, and /A/ is assimilating to said rounding. So why you have such a shift when you have an intrusive "r" is because the consonant being inserted epenthically is rounded and the preceding /A/ is assimilating to it.
Uriel   Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:19 am GMT
Nope, never had an intrusive R crop up. They sound very odd to me. "Law and Order: is always "lah an' order" for me.