No Bets, We Just Need to Know

Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 am GMT
What are these parts (in bold) called in grammar? Thank-you to all who may reply.

Does the applicant have experience UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY?

Is there a rule for using "ing" here?

I want to have my house REPAIRED.

What is the correct term in grammar for "repaired" with (repair plus "ed)?

Thanks again. No bets on this one, but several people want to know.
If these sentences sound strange to you, please comment on this as well.
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:43 am GMT
Hello, I wonder if anyone knows the answers to these. Grammar lovers are welcome.
Johnny   Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
<<I want to have my house REPAIRED. >>

That should be a past participle.
I am not sure about the other (=utilizing). It might be a present participle and not a gerund, but as I said, I am not 100% sure.
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
Thank-you for your answer. Anyone have an idea about the "Utilizing" sentence. Thanks!
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
<<UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY>>

This is a noun phrase (i.e. [the] utilizing [of] the new technology) typically referred to as a Gerund (the -ing form of a verbal noun) more specifically here, a Gerund clause.

As a whole, it operates in the sentence as a noun ("Does the applicant have experience [with the] utilizing {i.e. utilization} [of] the new technology?")

As Johnny stated, "Repaired" is the past participle of the verb "repair", here used as an adjective.
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
Is "the noun phrase/gerund" also called an object complement?

Thank-you.

Can you recommend a grammar book?
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
<<Is "the noun phrase/gerund" also called an object complement? >>

No. They are not the same. Gerunds can appear anywhere in a sentence: subject, object, object complements, etc. However, the gerund clause "UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY" does act as an object complement in the above sentence.

A good grammar book? hmmm, lemme try to remember my old college English (btw, I'm still in college) textbook that was pretty good...I'll post it if it comes back to me, it's been like 3 years now...
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:31 pm GMT
<<No. They are not the same. Gerunds can appear anywhere in a sentence: subject, object, object complements, etc.>>

Just to clarify better what I meant, let me re-phrase this--

Gerunds can appear anywhere in a sentence *as*: the subject, an object, an object complement, etc.

there, better :)
Original poster   Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
I agree that it is a gerund, but someone told me that their friend calls this something entirely different.

Are gerund phrase/gerund clause equivalent?

Thank-you.
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 pm GMT
Gerund clause and Gerund phrase mean the same thing.

a different, but identical, -ing form of verbs is referred to as a Present Participle (as in "I am falling"; "We are having a good time"), where the word performs as an adjective (i.e. "These standing trees need to be cut down.").
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
The person's friend said that it was an "adverbial" something.

Thank-you for your comments.
Humble   Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:47 am GMT
Hi,
Sorry,I don't agree UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY is a gerund clause. It's a participial phrase, in which UTILIZING is a present participle. Gerunds behave like nouns - they can be subjects or objects.
This participial phrase is an attribute, characterizing through an action.
If we had "... experience OF utilizing...", then UTILIZING would be a gerund.
Besides, as far as I know, a clause should have its subject, while UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY does not have any.

The "adverbial something" may have been an "adverbial modifier", which it is not, because it doesn't modify any verb - it modifies a noun, EXPERIENCE; this job is done by attributes (or attributive phrases).
Guest   Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:48 pm GMT
So, is this still up for debate?

Is it a "participial phrase" or a gerund clause?
Original Poster   Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:39 am GMT
Thank-you for all opinions. I thought a clause had a subject as well, but I thought I would bring this here since three of us from different countries had a discussion about this and I'm not sure if grammatical terms have changed since I graduated from college. I was not an English major.
guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
<<Hi,
Sorry,I don't agree UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY is a gerund clause. It's a participial phrase, in which UTILIZING is a present participle. Gerunds behave like nouns - they can be subjects or objects.
This participial phrase is an attribute, characterizing through an action.
If we had "... experience OF utilizing...", then UTILIZING would be a gerund.
Besides, as far as I know, a clause should have its subject, while UTILIZING THE NEW TECHNOLOGY does not have any.
>>

No. It is not a participial phrase here either ( an example of a participle phrase would be:

"Utilizing the new technology, the applicant outperformed his peers"

or something to that effect).

Participial phrases act as adverbs. This is clearly a noun being used instrumentally [i.e. ...have experience *with* utilizing... ]. If we were to trace this construction back in English, this is how it originates.

okay, so it's not a Gerund clause, it's a Gerund phrase...so sue me :)