La médico, la médica, La doctora

Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:46 am GMT
Are all of these correct for a female physician?
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
it seems that la RAE allows the femenine of médico as médica but it's not very common to say it. I particularly use la médico o la doctora but i more and more hear la médica. So the three ways are right.
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm GMT
Thank-you.
Guest2   Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:05 pm GMT
I thought that doctor was only used as a title, and referring to the physician one used médico. (e.g., Doctor Cruz es un buen médico.) Do people use doctor in this way also (e.g., un buen doctor)? If so, is this from English influence?
Guest   Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm GMT
English influence? lol, anyways.

Doctor/Médico (masculine & neutral), Doctora/Médica (feminine)
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:45 am GMT
I thought that doctor was only used as a title, and referring to the physician one used médico. (e.g., Doctor Cruz es un buen médico.) Do people use doctor in this way also (e.g., un buen doctor)? If so, is this from English influence?

No, it's so in English because of Spanish influence.

I always say el médico no matter it's a male or a female. I don't say la médica or la médico. Probably if I wanted to stress that the doctor who attended me was a woman I would say la médico.In the case of la médica it sounds odd to me.
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:06 pm GMT
DOCTOR comes from Latin and is a general word to mean : Persona que ha recibido el más alto grado académico universitario.
So,this applies specially to médicos.
It also applies to some catholic people: Título particular que da la Iglesia católica a algunos santos en atención al especial valor de la doctrina de sus escritos.
but wait for another answer because: Doctores tiene la Iglesia que te sabrán responder.
K. t.   Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:35 pm GMT
I would be interested in knowing what word native Spanish speakers use (anon, of course) in what country. I have never used la médica for a female doctor, but apparently it's correct.
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:38 pm GMT
In Mexico most of the times we use Doctor(a), for example: "Te revisó el doctor?" and even though Médico(a) are less common are still acceptable.
K. T.   Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 am GMT
Thank-you, Guest. I appreciate your response. That is the word I use also.