multilingualism over the top

Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:45 am GMT
To all language learners,

Calm down and stop stressing! Being multilingual is nothing special and won't illuminate your life.

I say this as a burnt out teacher sick and tired of obsessive students.
Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:58 pm GMT
<<Being multilingual is nothing special and won't illuminate your life>>
you should add : as long as people write here in english because otherwise how are you going to understand this:
Los idiomas entrenan el cerebro:
http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20080301/53441397330.html

Did you understand it?

of course, I agree with you that no one should be obsessive about anything.
Skippy   Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 pm GMT
I disagree. I do agree that stressing out over it is unhealthy, but it is special to be able to speak several languages (it's fun, people find it interesting, you can read different materials and sources, and is frequently illuminating, not to mention it makes you much more viable and valuable on a work resume).
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:11 am GMT
I'm not sure what the topic is here.

1. The problem is that students work too hard to be perfect in multiple languages causing them to feel a lot of stress?

2. Students worship multilingualism. They study too many languages because they seek fulfillment of some sort?

3. The OP is tired of teaching?

People can become obsessive about languages. I still think that it is
better to study languages than watch reality shows on TV...

At least languages can be practical. It is reported (but I have not read the original research) that the study of a second language may delay the onset of Alzheimer's Disease. Languages can get you into or out of trouble. Learning languages may save your life or you may be instrumental in saving someone's life. That's rather illuminating.
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:25 am GMT
If you watch action hero shows there is a bigger chance of saving peoples lives by imitating the heros in the shows.

Another problem is people forcing themselves to learn languages to be more 'educated'.
Xie   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
>>That's rather illuminating.<<

At least for me, in the last few years. Don't you see I'm getting my life through learning languages and talk about it (when I feel like doing)? :) Sometimes, doing this art for its sake can be interesting.