Mexico's colloquial wordages of foreign influence?

Domine   Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 pm GMT
In Mexico, Mexicans (colloquial wordages) which are used sound / look like borrowings or derivatives from other languages. Caveat lector: this is just an interesting speculation which I've noticed and tied upon via learning other languages. Notwithstanding it is interesting.

For example:

Mexican colloquial>
baro en vez de = 'peso' {{{pound - monetary sysyem}}}
moro / morro en vez de = 'nino, tonto, pendejito
etc.

Greek origin>
baros = weight / pound
moros = thoughtless / unintelligent
etc.

Other noticeable words:

Mexican colloquial>
torta = panecillo partido longitudinalmente
brusco = jugueton de manera cruel / insensible
mercar = comprar
etc.

Medieval Latin>
torta = small bread
bruscum = rough / brusque
mercare = to buy
etc.

-----------------------------

Mexican colloquial>
en friega = quickly = rapido / rapidamente / de prisa / velozmente
etc.

Italian>
in fretta = quickly
etc.
Guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:15 am GMT
Remember that when Mexico was the Nueva España is was the first en largest colony of Spaniards, in fact the City of Veracruz was founded in the 1500's by Hernan Cortez so it's normal that Mexicans keep some colonial words since they were the first European colony in America.
Guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 am GMT
but why are they slang words?
Domine   Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:50 am GMT
">Remember that when Mexico was the Nueva España is was the first en largest colony of Spaniards, in fact the City of Veracruz was founded in the 1500's by Hernan Cortez so it's normal that Mexicans keep some colonial words since they were the first European colony in America.<"

The conquistadors didn't contribute these words - it's quite demeaning to imply this. As I have said, these words show implication from borrowing or foreign influence from others.

THESE are old-spanish words which are known and used in Mexico; with the exception of some>
Alberca
Asina
Mesmo
Fierro
Aguelo
Alcancia
Mande?
Epale
Pos

">but why are they slang words?<"

Good question. Most are just a simpler way of conversing with one another.
Domine   Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 am GMT
A typical dialogue in Mexico; Mexican slang-talk>

¡Oye camará! Tengo seis baros, ¿cuantos tienes tú? Bueno nada más tengo dos baros para comprarme una torta ahogada. Ah, ¿sí? Me acuerdo cuando era morro mi mamá me los mercaba cada viernes. Pos tu sabrás guey. ¿Mande? ¡Endejo...sobre tu experiencia! ¡Oye! Después de comer nos vemos a la alberca, ¿sale? Ok. Espero que no seas brusco como la otra vez güey ya casí me hundías cabrón.

As you can see & read I have added some of the words mentioned in my original post. In Mexico anything goes - vocabulary wise. One can use different wordage -i.e. standard, slang or foreign- and still be understood, however, I thought this dialogue would be interesting for people who'll like to read a typical conversation between Mexicans of Mexico.