Benefits of learning 'Old' languages

Skippy   Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:16 am GMT
I took a course on Old English last semester because I found it interesting; I also own a book called "Old English and Its Closest Relatives" which includes Old Saxon, Old Norse, etc. The reason I studied Old English and have this book on the others is because I'm personally interested, but what would the benefits be of knowing these 'dead' languages? Latin, Ancient Greek, and Sanskrit have relatively extensive bodies of literature, but the Germanic languages (and, as I understand it, most other old languages) don't. So what are the benefits besides personal enlightenment in your opinion?
Brain test   Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
The main benefit is to put your brain at work in something you like but which isn't particularly easy.

Apart from becoming a well learned scholar in that subject, of course.

I also believe that Old English in its purest form is still spoken in parts of the Wild West.

I hope you'll get it.
Guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:37 pm GMT
Latin: Will probably give you a good base for learning romance languages and an understanding of "tough" grammar (for example, cases)
if you move on to the Slavic languages. I imagine that it could help with German too. Latin will help you with the abbreviations that physicians, nurses and pharmacists know. It will help with legal lingo to some degree, I think. I would weigh time and benefit before starting this language. Some linguists think this language is a must. I think it's interesting to a point, but I don't like languages that I can't speak to other people outside of the Catholic church. Even if I know some phrases, I can't use them outside certain settings. It would be
pretentious.

I read that learning an ancestor of Germanic languages will give you the skeletal framework to learn (all?) the modern Germanic languages with a degree of ease.

Ancient Greek may help you in several areas, but I would just learn Modern Greek.

I cannot speak about Sanskrit at all except to say that its script is attractive.
guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm GMT
Learning old forms of languages definitely helps you with comparitive studies between related languages, but this is not for the amateur linguist.

It can also give you a base for the formation of new words, even Old English (try it!)