Can you speak Queen's English?

Adam   Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
And the England cricket team also played today, and they are also doing well.

Pakistan are only 244/6 overnight.
Guest   Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:29 am GMT
leysa   Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:40 am GMT
I wonder what it sounds like to French people and Canadian french people when the queen speaks french. For instance, I wonder if the manner in which she speaks french sounds more like France's french and, if possible, is it closer to France's accent to most Canadian french peoples' ear. Maybe someone who can easily tell the differences between the Canadian french accent and French person's accent can shed a bit of light on that. :)
Ed   Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:26 am GMT
<<And the England cricket team also played today, and they are also doing well. >>

The mere fact that they're winning at cricket makes them losers lol
Adam   Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 am GMT
"http://www.infovisual.info/02/img_en/045%20Life%20cycle%20of%20a%20cricket.jpg "

A SLIGHT misunderstanding there, but never mind.
Adam   Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:59 am GMT
Yesterday -

Rugby Union
England (World Champions) 26-16 Australia

Football
England (best team in Europe) 3-2 Argentina

Rugby League
Great Britain 38-12 New Zealand (best team in the world, but Australia are World Champions

Today -

Cricket (Day 2 of the 5-day Test Match)

England (best team in the world, holders of the Ashes) going strongly

1st innings
Pakistan 274 all out (they were 244/6 overnight, so they lost 4 wickets for only 30 runs.

England 212/2 So we should surpass Pakistan's 1st innings total within the next 30 minutes or so, so should amass a healthy lead before the 2nd innings starts.
Candy   Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:18 pm GMT
<<The mere fact that they're winning at cricket makes them losers lol >>

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Cricket is a fantastic sport. England are now 253-3 against Pakistan! Fabulous!!
Pete   Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
What do Americans feel when they find someone speaking queen's English?
Do they like it? do they hate it? Can you think of an American speaking Queen's English??

OK let's see:

-A very rothic Queen's English
-A bit high-pitched
-American culture instead of English culture.

Well, this bastardized English would be utterly strange...
Pete   Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm GMT
Oh, did I say American culture?? sorry I didn't remember that there's no such thing as American "culture". It's best to say American educational background.

hehehe
Guest57   Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:46 am GMT
If by "Queen's English" you mean RP, the answer is yes but very few people speak this way and most of them live in the southeast of England (and even there such people are outnumbered by people who speak Cockney or Estuary). I happen to be an RP speaker but the Queen's English is actually upper-RP. Although my accent fluctuactes between near-RP, mainsteram RP, and upper-RP, I find the following to be true: You can speak U-RP to some of the people some of the time, and you can speak it to all of the people some of the time, and you can speak it to some of the people all of the time, but you cannot speak it to all of the people all of the time. Some aspects of it are easy for me (like the tapped 'r') but others are difficult, take much practise and effort, and are much too complicated to discuss at the present time.

Some English people have told me that 'nobody' talks that way. The truth is that RP is the nicest sounding, smoothest, most educated, most 'refined' accent in England. It is also the accent which enjoys the highest overt prestige. U-RP, on the other hand, can sometimes sound condescending and make the listener feel stupid and insignificant or make the listener feel that the speaker considers him stupid and insignificant. U-RP can sound annoying to some people, maddening to others, and absolutely ridiculous to still others (this is also true of mainsteram RP for some people). It really depends on the voice quality and the manner of delivery of the speaker and the circumstances in which it is used.

Many people are impressed by my fluency in RP. A small number may say "...but you're not from England". My response to that is usually "Of course not, you idiot... If I WERE from England I'd be speaking Cockney". Most RP speakers have attended expensive, exclusive public schools. Then there are some, like me, who simply got a British education abroad - not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as Eton, Harrow, or Rugby.

I also used to be among the stupid masses who watch "Star Wars" and think that everyone in England talks like Alec Guinness (Obi One Kanobi). I thought that I was at a disavantage for not having grown up in England. After visiting England, however, I realised that that was not true. Had I grown up in England I would have gone through the state school system and would probably be speaking with an English accent - but NOT RP.

Some people LOVE the Queen's English. Others HATE it. Some are ambivalent and most fall somewhere in between.
Guest   Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:55 am GMT
This might sound strange but when I hear RP in movies til gives a sense of calmly effect from the normal paranoided American accent.
Travis   Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:49 am GMT
>>This might sound strange but when I hear RP in movies til gives a sense of calmly effect from the normal paranoided American accent.<<

"paranoided"?
Kirk   Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 am GMT
<<Some people LOVE the Queen's English. Others HATE it. Some are ambivalent and most fall somewhere in between.>>

I like it, but since I'm interested in dialectology I tend to be interested in any dialect and its unique characteristics so I don't really like RP at the expense of another dialect (for example, I enjoy listening to Cockney just as much) so I guess I'm in the "in-between" category.
Uriel   Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:15 am GMT
"Paranoided" -- probably a coded message, Travis; haven't you been attending the meetings? Get out your aluminum foil hat and put it on -- it's the only way to protect your brain from the evil Z-rays they'll be aiming at us from those so-called European "weather satellites"....
Kirk   Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:11 am GMT
<<This might sound strange...>>

Well, if strange was what you were going for it certainly succeeded.