A place in England called????

Robbie   Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:49 pm GMT
Cunt?
I heard someone talk about a state or town in England named that.....
Am I wrong?
Robbie   Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
I heard that it was a place south of London. Please help me.........
Guest   Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:11 pm GMT
Kent?
Skippy   Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
I'm pretty sure you're thinking Kent... It's a county (I think, English geographic divisions are not my specialty) in southeastern England.
Guest   Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 pm GMT
ahhh.... I'm sorry. I just heard a person say something that sounded like the c word. It must have been Kent.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
You can search the map of England until you are a hundred years old but you will never find a place by the name you mentioned. It just has to be Kent...maybe you misheard the name being pronounced in a weird accent.

Kent it just has to be......the most south eastern county of England, or of the whole UK.....the Gateway to England from Continental Europe, with people coming in by ferries from France and Belgium, or by means of the 25 miles long Chunnel (Channel Tunnel), the trains emerging into daylight close to Folkestone. Kent is also known as the Garden of England because of it's fruitfulness in terms of horticultural produce, not to mention hops.

From the opposite end of the countty, 60 miles to the north west from the Channel coast, you enter into Kent from the south eastern suburbs of Greater London, usually from the London Boroughs of Bromley, Bexley or Croydon.

The accents of Kent can vary from "posh" RP English English or extreme Estuary, depending on location. This is not taking into account the many accents of the hordes of immigrants in Kent, not all of them legal. The Medway towns of Rochester, Gillingham and Chatham are particular hotbeds of immigrants, as is the first port of entry into the entire UK.......Dover.

http://www.edenbridgetown.com/maps/kent_map.shtml
Adam   Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
There used to be a street in London up until around the 18th century called Gropecunt Lane.

No-one knows exactly which street it is now but its most likely either the street that is now called Milton Street where the Barbican Centre is or the street now called Threadneedle Street and is where the Bank of England is situated.

There were many streets in England up until around the middle of the 1800s that were named Gropecunt Lane because they were streets were prostitutes often conducted their business. In most cases, the name would appear to derive directly from the words grope (sexual touching), and cunt (female genitalia). The Gropecunt Lane in London, though, was probably the most famous,

But, in the name of decency, most Gropecunt Lanes had their names changed. Oxford's Gropecunt Lane became Grope Lane and then Grove Lane.

There is still a Grope Lane in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:05 pm GMT
"Cunt?
I heard someone talk about a state or town in England named that.....
Am I wrong? "

you could be talking about Kent. The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word "Cantus" meaning "rim" or "border". This describes the eastern part of the current county area as a border land or coastal district. Julius Caesar had described the area as Cantium, or home of the Cantiaci tribe in 51 BC.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 pm GMT
The diaries of Samuel Pepys give us an amazing insight into life in the London of the 17th century. The vocabulary he used was very colourful indeed, and words which are now considered "taboo" were all part and parcel of common day to day parlance in those days. Pepys was a real self confessed philanderer, and was a constant irritation to his poor long suffering wife Elizabeth because of his regular dalliances with any pretty female face that took his fancy.

The London (indeed, much of England and Scotland....especially Edinburgh) of the 16th / 17th century was a very bawdy and licentious city indeed, practically anything went, and it was common for the "gentry" of the time to go extra marital as a matter of course. Even the KIng - the famous old rake King Charles II who had an array of mistresses, including the famed orange seller Nell Gwynne.

Pepys was no exception, but he must have had a wee bit of guilt complex because every time he recounted his "affairs" in his daily diary he described all the proceedings in his own form of short-hand, a sort of mixture of English, Spanish, Latin and something he simply made up in his head. REading this garbled lingo today you can more or less understand what he was writing about, and it left nothing to the imagine. He frequently referred to a lady's "cunny" when writing about his romps with her, so it's obvious what he was talking about. He never used the word we know today.

Pepys original diaries (written by him with a feather quill of course, and by candlelight mostly, which later badly affected his eyesight, forcing him to give up writing his diary, much to his distress) are now kept in a glass bookcase at Magdalen (pronounced as MAUD-lin) College, in Cambridge, which is the college he attended in the 1650s. You can now buy the abridged versions.

Magdalen College is a really beautiful ancient building complex, close to some gorgeous grounds, with the river Cam running close by, with students in their punts and swans vying for space on the tranquil water lined by weeping willows. Surroundings amazingly conducive to deep thought and firmly applied study on a pleasant summer day. No wonder Pepys had a very profound attachment to the place.