What makes English so difficult to learn?

Babu   Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
hi guys!!!

What makes English so difficult to learn?
guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
it's not difficult...
Guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm GMT
Too much morphology to remember. I wish it were more analytic.
Guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
Too much morphology to remember. I wish it were more analytic.

I think it's just the opposite. English is very analytic and that makes it a nightmare with so many preposition, prepositional verbs and phrasal verbs. For example in English one verb can have thousands of different meanings depending on the preposition you add. It's really scary. For example I don't understand very well why in English they say "the house is burning down" and the difference with just "the house is burning" . English seems to rely heavily on prepositions to express many concepts instead of using verbs and nouns alone.
guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
<<Too much morphology to remember. I wish it were more analytic. >>

uh, Guest was probably being sarcastic
guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
<<For example I don't understand very well why in English they say "the house is burning down" and the difference with just "the house is burning" . English seems to rely heavily on prepositions to express many concepts instead of using verbs and nouns alone. >>

There is a difference between 'burning' and 'burning down'

a house that is burning just means it's on fire. it could be a small fire.

a house that is burning down [to the ground] means that it is engulfed in flames and it is burning totally down. the down in 'burning down' actually comes from the phrase "burn down to the ground"

oftentimes our prepositional usage is due to shortening of phrases, but not always...
Amabo   Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 am GMT
"What makes English so difficult to learn?"

The fact that it's not your native language.

Next question please.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:33 am GMT
fucking pronunciation. Words can not be pronounced the way they are written and top it off, it is a stress oriented language.
Milton   Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:52 am GMT
The pronunciation is very difficult. Isolated words are fine, but
fast speech is a bit tricky. Try repeating after actors in your favorite Tv series or sitcom. It's just too difficult...Repeating after Italian or Brazilian actors is easy because their languages are more vowel-friendly, and you just let if flow...English is full of semi-pronounced, reduced and/or muted vowels, and consonant combinations...I can think of the right pronunciation in my head, but when it comes to pronouncing fast speech, my language twists...English speech production requires a heavy phonologic apparatus training by a foreign student.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 am GMT
''The fact that it's not your native language.''

English is extremely easy for Word English usage.
An Indian and a Japanese understand perfectly each other although they
say:
someone's on the door, wait, i'm gonna get the door;
he don't,
too much things
or more easy

instead of

someone's at the door, wait, i'll get the door;
he doesn't
too many things
or
easier
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 pm GMT
On the surface, English has got to be the simplest language on the planet, except for pigins, creoles, and artificial or semi-artificial languages meant for ease of learning or intercommunication. My ability to learn languages is abysmal, but I was able to learn English as a little kid, so how tough can English be. :)

Imagine how much harder it would be to learn anything else as a foreign language (besides a 2nd language closely related to your first). If you're from Europe (for example), just be thankful you don't have to learn Chinese, Japanese, Navajo, Sanskrit, one of those African click languages, or even Basque and Gaelic.
Amabo   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:42 am GMT
The "easiest" and "simplest" language is always your own.

Duh. I wonder why?

Statements about whether one language is "easier" or "more difficult" than another are always going to be subjective in nature.
Audaz   Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:23 am GMT
English IS NOT a difficult language. Is not like a Romance language with all its complexities, "shades", tenses, etc. English is a very plain language that anybody can learn.
K. T.   Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:02 am GMT
What do you mean by "shades", Audaz? Moods? I've never felt that romance languages were complex.
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:04 pm GMT
What? Is it difficult????