Accent/dialect analysis

Rob   Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:42 pm GMT
Hi there,

I came across this website while searching for some information on accents and found a fascinating thread where members of this community analysed an uploaded MP3 of a speaker and could pinpoint where they were, and influences on their speech patterns. Let me first say that I think it's a superb skill and congratulations to you all on being so talented!

I'm a native English speaker from England, and so this may change things, but since starting university I've found my accent has changed slightly by influences I've had from friends here etc. I would find it very interesting to upload a short passage of text and see if those in this community could shed some light on where they think I'm from etc.

I'll understand if this is a more US-centric forum and perhaps there's some lack of familiarity with UK accents. And, also, that perhaps you're just not willing to simply appease the curiosity of a stranger! But let me know if someone's interested and what you'd like me to read and I'll get to it.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob
Lauren   Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
Hey, again Rob.

I moved recently. I come from an area where there is more of a dialect, some actual discrepancy over word order, and a lot of slang, than a distinctive accent, and now I live in an area where it is more "standard". Where I don't feel like I have changed my accent, yet (I guess I'll find out after I'm analyzed) I do feel like I've picked up words/phrases of this area. Consequently, I always feel so tongue-tied over words and word order, especially.

Is it similar for you in any way?
Rob   Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
That's quite interesting; I've been raised in a household where I was always picked up on bad grammar or word order so I always strived to be 'correct' in that respect. As for dialect though, I have spent a great deal of time with non-native English speakers over the last 3 years at university and as such I am curious as to whether my accent has traces of non-native characteristics.

Added to which my girlfriend has an odd hybrid accent after attending an international school so it's possible I've assimilated some characteristics from her after spending so much time with her!

For those willing to take a listen, here's my recording of Comma Gets a Cure:
http://localhostr.com/files/2d1645/comma-rob.mp3