Is anyone poor in the USA?

MollyB   Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am GMT
Is anyone poor in the USA?
meez   Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 am GMT
No, they're all billionaires....
bingo   Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am GMT
Of course there is, but poverty is a relative term. Poor people in USA are richer than the poor in let's say Russia and poor Russian are richer than the poor in African countries.
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 am GMT
have you lived in idiotland so far?
Johnny   Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 pm GMT
You can't be MollyB for real. If you are, this time you must be really desperate in your attempts to troll successfully. Nobody answer this idiotic question please.
Ivan   Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:14 pm GMT
I was poor in the USA. Now I'm poor in Taiwan.

Poverty FTW!
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm GMT
>You can't be MollyB for real. If you are, this time you must be really desperate in your attempts to troll successfully. Nobody answer this idiotic question please. >

Why do you see it as trolling? It seems a good question.
Skippy   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm GMT
Yeah, there are poor people in the USA. However, people on welfare in the United States are estimated to be within the top 5% richest in the world... So it's all relative.

There are poor people here, but not like there are in Central Africa.
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:09 pm GMT
<Yeah, there are poor people in the USA. However, people on welfare in the United States are estimated to be within the top 5% richest in the world... So it's all relative. >

So if that 5% feel poor, you can tell them it's all relative really, right?
Skippy   Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 pm GMT
That would be inappropriate, but I suppose that was your point. People who make $35,000 a year may feel poor, but does that mean that, in reality and comparatively, they are? Probably not.
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 pm GMT
What's the defintion of "poor" in the USA?
MollyB   Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:55 pm GMT
Pos   Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
"poverty in the USA is often masked - the poor are often not skeletally thin, but actually over-weight, because they have been persuaded to eat ‘cheap’ junk food which gives energy but not nourishment."

http://www.stuffedandstarved.org/drupal/node/220