What Language is this?

Dane   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:32 am GMT
Dane   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:35 am GMT
I understood the first seconds of the dialog, but later I understood absolutely nothing.

I thought it was Spanish, any clues?
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:37 am GMT
weird language. It has some Spanish words
Chelsea   Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:23 am GMT
No clue............................................................................................
It's like Spanish, and Italian combined. IT COULD BE SOME REGIONAL LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN SPAIN, ITALY OR FRANCE.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am GMT
This sounds like Papiamento with a heave spanish accent. It´s spoken in Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papiamento

Her is a sample of Papiamento

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ogldoC-wc
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 am GMT
It seems Spanish, a South American version of it. It is not French at all. It has NOTHING of Italian. No one word, less than ever the sound. This shows your knowledge of these languages.... but everybody has always something (wrong) to say about them here.
K. T.   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 pm GMT
I wasn't able to hear the sound on the video, but the description and the picture with the hat indicated that this was Tico (Costa Rican) Spanish.
K. T.   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
Okay, the sound quality wasn't great, and I didn't listen to the whole video, but it certainly was Spanish. I think it's a comedy act about the
"Second Costa Rican" language. Ticos have a lot of special words.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
In the beginning he was speaking spanish, and he introduces it as the second language of Costa Rica (some dialect).
K. T.   Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
The person who posted the video indicated that it was a monologue by
José Solano. The monologue contains more than 100 special words used by Ticos/Costa Ricans and the person wanted to see if anyone could understand all of it (all the special Tico words).

The video is too long to watch with that kind of sound quality, but everything I heard was Spanish. There are a lot of Tico words and expressions. Two that come to mind are "pura vida" and "upe" I'd like to know more about Costa Rican Spanish.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm GMT
It's Spanish but a very ugly and strange dialect/accent. I didn't understand some things.
JLK   Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
<<"Second Costa Rican" language. Ticos have a lot of special words.>>

I was always under the impression that Costa Rica speak a very neutral/intelligent variant and Spanish. How is Tico slang anymore prevalent to the slang used in Mexico? Mexicans use hundreds of words that aren't used elsewhere.
JLK   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:22 pm GMT
Sorry, I meant intelligible variant..
Ken   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
It's ok. Pronunciation is a little awkward.
JLK   Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:54 am GMT
Pronunciation? What does my mental drifting have to do with pronunciation?