"help"

Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:24 pm GMT
why do you pronounce "help" as [heop] instead of [help]?

i saw [help] but natives say [heop]. they dont pronounce "l"..

why?
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
i think native speakers pronounce it as [hey-oup]
Ed   Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
Native speakers from where? I'm a native speaker and I say the "l".

Guest, where are you located?
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
im in canada

i saw no native speaker saying [help].. they all said [heop]
Skippy   Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
I'm from Texas... we all say [help]. Actually, the 'l' may be dark... But it is definitely pronounced and definitely not an [o].
Lazar   Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 pm GMT
(Do you know IPA? If not, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet .) There are some dialects of English, such as Estuary English and African American Vernacular English (AAVE), in which dark (or syllable-final) <l> is pronounced as a vowel, [o], so that "help" would be ['hɛop]. But this is definitely not predominant among native speakers of English: the traditional realization of dark <l> is a velarized alveolar lateral approximant, [ɫ], and many speakers have an intermediate pronunciation such as [ʟ], a velar lateral approximant. If Josh Lalonde is around, he'd certainly be able to tell you more about the situation in Canada: he's from there, and he has /l/-vocalization.
K. T.   Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:18 am GMT
I say the "l", but I've heard "hep" from some speakers.

Can I hep you?
K. T.   Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:19 am GMT
Actually it's more like "Kin-a HEP ya".
Travis   Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 am GMT
I have very strong /l/-vocalization, but I generally vocalize to an unrounded vowel ([ɯ] or sometimes [ɤ]) or semivowel ([ɰ]) unless preceded by a rounded vowel or consonant to which it will assimilate (as [ʊ] and [w] respectively). Hence to me "help" is [ˈhɜ̩ɯ̯ʔp]. Note that such is global in my dialect, with semivowel pronunciations such as [ɰ] commonly showing up before stressed vowels and word-initially. At the same time, there is often a weak retention of lateralness, resulting in *lateralized* vowels and semivowels being used, particularly before stressed vowels (and also in coda positions in rather careful speech). This results in a weird sound that would probably be perceived as [ɰˡ] commonly being used before stressed vowels and word-initially.

However, my own idiolect is more progressive in that I normally lack lateralness altogether in all positions except in careful or emphatic speech, resulting in the very widespread of non-lateral [ɰ] even when stressed. However, because I natively have a complete lack of [l] or [ɫ] (to the point that they are simply not native sounds to me), I will not infrequently in stressed and word-initial positions use something like [ɣˡ], [ɰʟ̆], or even [ʀˡ] for /l/ through direct fortition of [ɰˡ] for lack of any clear intuitive native "hard" pronunciation of /l/. Consequently, more recently I sometimes use the borrowed foreign sound [l] for such /l/ simply for the sake of being understood by people who do not speak dialects from this genera area; while [l] is unambiguously a foreign sound to me, it is one that I find very easy to actually articulate, unlike [ɫ], and which I already readily use when speaking German.
Johnny   Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:46 am GMT
This is interesting. I didn't know the symbol ʟ. Is the difference between ʟ and ɫ just that in ʟ you don't raise the tip of your tongue to touch the roof of your mouth? If so, then I realized that I do that very often, so I might use ʟ more than ɫ (and I pronounce "help" with either ɫ or ʟ, and ɫ is only likely if I speak slowly).
Can anyone tell me more about these differences, who also speaks this way, etc. Thanks.
Lazar   Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:43 pm GMT
<<Is the difference between ʟ and ɫ just that in ʟ you don't raise the tip of your tongue to touch the roof of your mouth?>>

Yes. For it to be [ɫ], strictly speaking, there would have to be tongue contact.
Travis   Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 pm GMT
>><<Is the difference between ʟ and ɫ just that in ʟ you don't raise the tip of your tongue to touch the roof of your mouth?>>

Yes. For it to be [ɫ], strictly speaking, there would have to be tongue contact.<<

Well, not quite - [ʟ] involves actual dorsal contact, which for me occurs only in very careful speech, and then is more flap-like than stop-like (hence [ʟ̆]); [ɫ] minus coronal articulation is actually something more like [ɰˡ] as such would actually involve no contact with the roof of the mouth and would simply be a semivowel with lateralization through narrowing of the tongue.
Travis   Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
That said, it seems to me like a lot of speakers of North American English dialects *actually* use a sound like [ɰˡ] today rather than actually truly having even [ɫ] in everyday speech, even if they do not have more extensive /l/-vocalization (even though it seems to me like /l/-vocalization is far more common in NAE today than generally reported).
guest   Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
my stepdad is from Memphis TN and around there they do not pronounce the 'l' at all, but it's not substituted with 'o', it's dropped altogether and pronounced / hEp /

same for other words with 'l' + consonant like "bulb" (/ b@b/), "self" (sEf)