relaxed state of mind

Guest   Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:05 pm GMT
If you are aware of Krashen's language acquisition theory then my above question is very much related to one of its aspects. According to it, if your mind is relaxed and not in the state of confusion/agitation then the language acquisition takes place easily and there is no hindrance to it. It is one of the key points of the theory. Now here is the question: I have been suffering with depression for the last 5 years and I have started learning English for the last four years from scratch. I feel distracted while I am reading or racing thoughts interfere with my reading and listening. I need to focus my attention again. My mind is not at peace especially while I'm reading, so to speak. I wonder if the process of language acquisition is slow in my case because I am quite good at passive knowledge of the language but I'm poor at active skills like speaking and listening to a lesser extent. My case contradicts one of the theory's key planks. As I often see (in real life scenario) that I am not fluent enough to express my thoughts. I mean, I am good at the simplest form of conversations but I am lagging behind when It comes to putting complex thoughts across. I wonder if it has got anything to do with the slow process of language acquisition or with a lack of practice in real life scenario. What exactly should I do in order to improve my
speaking skills including my accent? I mean, I have done all the activities that a serious learner should in order to learn a language.
I have watched movies, sitcoms, listened to music, shows, audiobooks and what not. Yet, I am pathetic at speaking. I was shocked to hear one of American native speaker's comments. I had a small chat with him on the phone. All he understood a couple of words which he had told me that I was exposed to these words a lot so he had understood them with ease. Indiscreetly, All he was trying to say that I was not exposed a lot to the language and there was a problem with the cadence of the language and I need to put in a lot of effort. I mean, I just don't know what to do. I just don't know what is a lot in language learning?

Thanks.
Guest   Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
Just keep saying OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Juan   Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm GMT