Pronunciation of 'Wisconsin'

Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 pm GMT
I say /n@v{d@/ and /or@gIn/. I have no idea how the natives of those states say the names...
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
Natively I had [nəˈvæɾə] and [ˈɒ:ɹəgn̩], although I used to say [nəˈvɑ:ɾə].
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm GMT
Agh, I messed that up. It should read:

I have [nəˈvæɾə] and [ˈɒ:ɹəgn̩], although I used to say [nəˈvɑ:ɾə].
Milton   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 pm GMT
''Nevada'' is pronounced with the pijAma vowel, so it can have either /æ/ (Western pronunciation) or /ɑ/ (Southern and BackEast pronunciation).

in Western accents with the shift, /æ/ can be close to [a]
in NCVS accents with the progressive shift /ɑ/ can shift to [a] (or even [æ])
so two phonologically different pronunciations can have a close phonetic realization. What goes around, comes around ;)
Milton   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:33 pm GMT
''with the pajAma vowel''
Travis   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:40 pm GMT
At least here, "pyjamas" (it is *always* plural here) is [pʰəːˈdʒ̥ɛ̯̃æ̃ːməːs] not [pʰəːˈdʒ̥ãːməːs], indicating historical /æ/ and not /ɑː/.
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
<<''Nevada'' is pronounced with the pijAma vowel, so it can have either /æ/ (Western pronunciation) or /ɑ/ (Southern and BackEast pronunciation).>>

No, I don't think this makes sense. I've always pronounced "pyjamas" as [pʰəˈdʒæməz], since long before I found out that Nevadans pronounced their state's name with [æ]. My impression is that most people here in Massachusetts would likewise pronounce "pyjamas" with [æ] but "Nevada" with [ɑ:]; these words are two isolated cases, and I don't see any reason why they would correlate with each other.
Travis   Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:56 am GMT
I myself went Up North to visit some relatives of my girlfriend's up there (approximately 50 miles northwest of Green Bay), and at least from how they seem to speak up there, I probably should qualify all my transcriptions as not really being the rule for the whole of Wisconsin (but rather as only really being applicable to more progressive idiolects from southeastern Wisconsin)... To me at least, the dialect that they spoke up there was just as far from my own from Milwaukee as my own is from General American. (Such differences included lack of NCVS, purely stress-conditioned vowel length, consistent full-voicing for lenis obstruents other than /z/, very little lenition or elision, apparent merger (rather than chain-shifting) of historical /æ/ and /ɛ/, an [o] more in common with Norwegian or Swedish long "å" than the more German-like [o] found in southeastern Wisconsin, a lack of phonemically frozen palatalized consonants, and global interdental hardening as opposed to mere initial interdental hardening.) Of course, in this case, there were likely different substrata at work than in southeastern Wisconsin, due to the area having a significant Native American population, combined with the area being largely isolated with more progressive sound changes like the NCVS, aggressive lenition/elision, and phonemic freezing of palatalized consonants in certain words found in southeastern Wisconsin.