Can we detect a homosexual from his accent?

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
All I will say on this issue of some poor bloke's sexuality (whoever Anderson Cooper is - I've never heard of him) is this: Does it matter one iota in the wider scheme of things which way his pendulum swings? Get a life, for goodness sake! Let him snuggle under the duvet with whomever he fancies, be it lad or lass. It's nobody's business but his own. :-) Is this an American thing anyway - all this prudish like speculation on a person's sexuality? Why not try and cultivate a more European attitude and leave well alone? Hells bells.......!
Jasper   Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
Damian, I have to agree; this is the stupidest thread I think I've ever seen.

When a man's interest is in the science of linguistics, what a man or woman does under the sheets is of little interest to him.
guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
<<All I will say on this issue of some poor bloke's sexuality (whoever Anderson Cooper is - I've never heard of him) is this: Does it matter one iota in the wider scheme of things which way his pendulum swings?>>

It is of grave interest, I believe, to the one who initially inquired of such--I would imagine that the inquirer would like to know whether he has a chance with Anderson or not ;)

Anderson Cooper is the silver haired guy on the CNN News show 'Anderson Cooper 360'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/cooper.anderson.html
Gues   Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:50 pm GMT
Having seen may homosexuals, I think that this man has many chances for being homosexual. Maybe 69% or so.
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 pm GMT
What an acute gaydar! Are you equally good at detecting April and June homosexuals?
guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 pm GMT
I don't think Anderson Cooper's gay

Keep dreaming...
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 am GMT
Seriously guys, he IS gay. Watch his show closely and you'll start getting some inside jokes he makes with certain people.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:14 am GMT
He's been featured in the OUT magazine a loooong time ago.
Skippy   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm GMT
Straight people have been in Out before, he never admitted to being gay.
wintereis   Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:50 pm GMT
Anderson Cooper is hot, in my opinion gay, and also the son of Gloria Vanderbilt . . . some good old fashioned American green. Imagine a weekend at Biltmore:

http://www.smartdestinations.com/design/images/blueridge/attractions/Biltmore.jpg

And you Europeans didn't think we had any palaces in the United States.

<Is this an American thing anyway - all this prudish like speculation on a person's sexuality? Why not try and cultivate a more European attitude and leave well alone?>

It is the European and particularly British attitude in the Victorian and Elizabethan eras that has made the U.S. prudish. The difference is that in America we have to fight about everything for decades before we change it. (See the Civil Rights Movement.)
Noah   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
<<<Is this an American thing anyway - all this prudish like speculation on a person's sexuality? Why not try and cultivate a more European attitude and leave well alone?>

I agree.

Moreover, speculation on sexuality seems odd in a forum dedicated to the love of the English language. An analogy might be in order.

If the reader were to imagine herself at a MacWorld conference, and listened to Steve Jobs rhapsodizing on the newest computer technology, wouldn't it seem a little weird if he were to start talking about homosexuals?
wintereis   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:00 pm GMT
Noah,

I think you miss the point. Much of the conversation centered on speech patterns within the homosexual subculture. There are many English speaking homosexuals. Therefore, it is very relevant to the English Language. Your analogy doesn't hold water. On the other hand, if your problem is with the speculation about Anderson Cooper, your analogy still doesn't hold water because that is more fun banter than anything. The subject of Anderson Cooper arose chiefly because the issue had been already sused out to the point where no one cared about the original topic anymore.

P.S. I still maintain the following: "It is the European and particularly British attitude in the Victorian and Elizabethan eras that has made the U.S. prudish. The difference is that in America we have to fight about everything for decades before we change it."

<<Moreover, speculation on sexuality seems odd in a forum dedicated to the love of the English language. An analogy might be in order.

If the reader were to imagine herself at a MacWorld conference, and listened to Steve Jobs rhapsodizing on the newest computer technology, wouldn't it seem a little weird if he were to start talking about homosexuals? >>
Noah   Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
I see your points, Wintereis.

While the former subject has some validity as an interest in this forum, the second one (Anderson's sexual orientation) seems, to me, a non sequitur at best, even though the subject might have been a result of the natural flow of conversation.

Some of the comments, indeed, appeal to a sense of prurience rather than a love of linguistics, and become a bit of a bore after a time.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:07 pm GMT
Is this noble forum dedicated to the love of the English language or to the love of linguistics, that is indeed the question.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:11 pm GMT
↑ Different branches of the same tree. ↑