Eminem's accent

Travis   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
>>You should hear the word "awesome" pronounced by a Northerner!!<<

The very word "awesome" makes me cringe from just thinking about its being said.
Jasper   Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
Travis: me, too! I detest that word more than any other word in the English language.

It doesn't matter WHAT accent it's spoken with; it's a repulsive word.

I think, in that other thread, a third (and fourth) person concurred.

On a related note, I've never heard that word used in AAVE. Is it not a feature of that dialect?
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:36 pm GMT
The worst thing is awesome pronounced with the /Q/ vowel, it sounds as bad as /dju:d/.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 am GMT
What's wrong with the word 'awesome'? It's an awesome word.
K. T.   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:18 am GMT
Why don't you like it? Overused? Too Surfer Dude? It reminds me of that "Dude, you're getting a Dell." set of commercials a few years ago.
Skippy   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:41 am GMT
Using /Q/ with "awesome" just sounds wrong. Awesome should be pronounced with an /a/. And "dude" should be pronounced /dud/ not /djud/.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 am GMT
i like eminem... his so sexy
i wanna fuck him some day
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
are you gay?
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:36 pm GMT
yes i am
i wanna rape eminem so badly....
his so cute..........
ahhh i got a boner right away while writing this..
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
LMAO!!!!!!
Cahota   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 am GMT
Eminem is a joke. Enough said.
Jasper   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 pm GMT
<<Why don't you like it?....>>

KT, I associate it with the Skater Kid culture that arose in the 80s. The Skater Kids---loud, obnoxious, using a lot of profanity and giving people "the finger"--really were "snerts" (remember that term?).

To this day, I--and many others--view the word "awesome" as a vulgarism that it really is.
K. T.   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:11 pm GMT
Hi, Jasper. I don't know what "snerts" are. This may because I missed out on some things because I lived overseas. I didn't know that "awesome" was considered vulgar at all. I'll look up the term.
K. T.   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
The term originated with Kurt Vonnegut? I saw several possible meanings for "snert". I'm not surprised. I missed a lot of American culture in the 80s and 90s.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:35 pm GMT
I used to hate the word "awesome" but now I try not to be judgmental about people's speech habits.