Difference between "in" and "on"

zatsu   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:50 am GMT
Hello!

This might sound like a silly question, but I've been wondering about it for a while now...
Can you tell me if there's a difference between "in my mind" and "on my mind"? Is it a regional thing or is there a real difference in meaning?
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:19 am GMT
If something is "on one's mind" it means that that person is thinking about it. "in one's mind" usually refers to one's imagination. You might say "I can picture it in my mind.", for example.
zatsu   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:36 am GMT
Oh, I see!! It makes sense^^
Thank you so much for explaining, it was really clear!
Quidsane   Sat May 03, 2008 8:58 am GMT
Related: "waiting in line" and "waiting on line"
They have the same meaning but I've only heard "waiting on line" used by people from the east coast (New York, Boston). I'm not sure if "on" is grammatically correct in this instance.
Skippy   Sat May 03, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
I've never heard "waiting on line." You wait ON someone... You wait in a building or a line (or queue or whatever).
Milton   Sat May 03, 2008 4:25 pm GMT
"waiting on line" is used in NYC
Guest   Sat May 03, 2008 6:20 pm GMT
what about "read in a book" vs "read on a book"?
Earle   Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 pm GMT
"On a book" to me means what's on the cover. Prepositions are so idiomatic in any language, they just have to be memorized. German for "next in line" is "an der Reihe." Literally, "on the row." Most common for waiting in line is "Schlange stehen," "Schlange" meaning tail or snake, or, ahem, other things. "Queue" comes to English from French and also means "tail."
Skippy   Sat May 03, 2008 9:42 pm GMT
If someone told me they were reading "on a book" I wouldn't know what they were talking about... "reading up on a book" would be like reading information about a book, and "reading in a book" isn't typically heard unless it's in the past tense... For example "I once read in a book that..."
Guest   Sat May 03, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
what's new in/on this model?
Quidsane   Sun May 04, 2008 1:15 am GMT
Related humor:
"At the airport they keep telling me to get on the plane...
I say f**k you, I'm getting IN!"
--George Carlin
zatsu   Thu May 08, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
Hmm, for sure these things have to be memorized, but I think the difficulty has more to do with abstract things like, for instance, on the internet, you post "in a thread" or "on a thread"?

Also, the album will be released "on the next month", or "in the next month"?
"In May 18, 2009", "on the 2nd of June"... are there any rules regarding these cases?
Milton   Fri May 09, 2008 1:26 am GMT
Also, the album will be released "on the next month", or "in the next month"?

The album will be released next month.
Guest   Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 pm GMT
What's more common?
a) I grew up on a farm.
b) I grew up in a farm.
Skippy   Sat May 10, 2008 12:12 am GMT
I grew up ON a farm. I've never heard of someone growing up "in a farm"... You can grow up in a farm house though...