Pure english

Anglo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:23 am GMT
"English is my native language." -- K.T.

Then you are not an Anglo. That's guaranteed.

How would you explain the fact that you don't write perfect English? You are a perfectionist, and terrified at the mere appearance of being thought to be incorrect about anything, and you also seem reasonably intelligent. You would have mastered English by now if you were a native speaker. I would bet that you are natively bilingual. Something is not right in Denmark, as we Anglos say...
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 am GMT
By the way, if you guys think English is so impure why do you continue to litter your posts with Latinate words? Ha ha let's see you actually write in pure Germanic and THEN we'll see what happens.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:29 am GMT
My English is fine. Feel free to correct me if you see a typographical error or some example of mixed usage. I lived in Europe and Asia, so I probably have a stilted way of writing.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:29 am GMT
How would you explain [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] the fact that you don't write perfect [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English? You are a perfectionist [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] , and terrified [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] at the mere [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] appearance [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] of being thought to be incorrect [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] about anything, and you also seem reasonably [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] intelligent [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] . You would have mastered [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English by now if you were a native [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] speaker. I would bet that you are natively [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] bilingual [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] . Something is not right in Denmark, as we Anglos say...
Anglo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 am GMT
"My English is fine. Feel free to correct me if you see a typographical error or some example of mixed usage. I lived in Europe and Asia, so I probably have a stilted way of writing." -- K.T.

As I said, you're not an Anglo.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Exactly [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!]. I find it highly insulting [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] to my people that some would call the authentic [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English language "baby talk" before it was infiltrated [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!](surely a Latinate word) with Romance [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] language words.

Frankly, authentic [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English minus [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] the loanwords very much resembles [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!]German, only with our own endings. I'm more than sick of the hateful diatribes [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] against anything in the Germanic family, and the word "Nazi" getting thrown around with abandon [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!].

Ok, that's enough I'll stop, but you get my point?
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 am GMT
--How would you explain [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] the fact that you don't write perfect [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English? You are a perfectionist [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] , and terrified [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] at the mere [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] appearance [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] of being thought to be incorrect [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] about anything, and you also seem reasonably [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] intelligent [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] . You would have mastered [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] English by now if you were a native [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] speaker. I would bet that you are natively [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] bilingual [WHAT'S THAT??? PURIFY PLEASE!] . Something is not right in Denmark, as we Anglos say...--

Haha, point taken, anti-Anglo guest. English, being the way it is now, is certainly interesting as a linguistic oddity, but it does make an Anglo feel like a bit of a loner. There's nothing wrong with Anglo-Saxons and other Germanic types longing for more linguistic purity. The Latin family bands together and the Germanic family can too, but English has, as the French would say, the ass between two chairs.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 am GMT
My mother tongue is English and I am very much against the "purification" of English. Sorry, but your "purified" English sounds truly awful...
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:43 am GMT
My native language is English and I like English the way it is. I also like other languages.
Anglo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 am GMT
"My native language is English and I like English the way it is. I also like other languages." -- K.T.

Righto, you're not an Anglo-Saxon individual.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:08 am GMT
I'm not sure that YOU are, Anglo.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:48 am GMT
<<
atom= "uncleft"
element = "firststuff"
nucleus = "kernel"

HORRIBLE

periodic table of the elements= "round-about board of the firststuffs"

AAHAHAH!!!!! >>

Whats so horrible about those words? Why are you laughing? Those are all literal translations using anglo-saxon root words instead of Latin/Greek ones.

The word atom (which you obviously find superior to uncleft), is constructed in exactly the same way as uncleft, and literally means the same thing. A (not or un) + tommos (cut or 'cleft'), produced atomos.

Nucleus comes from the latin word nucula, which is the diminuative of nux (nut), which translates as little nut, or 'kernel'.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:26 am GMT
You have to admit that English always was a language of peasants, that is the reason why elevated terms derive from French and Latin thanks to the Norman aristocracy that made the English people less savage , but you still have a lot of work left to overcome your barbaric roots. I don't think that returning to a purer English is the path to choose .
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:43 am GMT
America is the greatest nation on Earth and in history and its language is English, so you'd better not be disrespecting.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 am GMT
The problem Anglish has is the same Esperanto has - it is not alive!