CVS in the South?

Lo   Sun May 04, 2008 6:36 pm GMT
I was recently in Tennessee, and I noticed how people, especially teenager girls, have taken up features of the California Vowel Shift. For example, they'd pronounce win /wEn/, in /En/, think /TiNk/, thing /TiN/, etc. The most peculiar thing was that it mixed with features of southern accents like the pin-pen merger.

Now, what I want to know is, is the California Vowel Shift common in the south? and is the California Vowel Shift spreading elsewhere?
Lazar   Sun May 04, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
Eh, I don't think any of those is necessarily part of the CVS. I think the tensing of lax vowels before [N], for example, is a separate phenomenon that just happens to overlap with the CVS in California: it's not part of the basic chain shift of the CVS. And likewise, with "win" and "in", I've read that some pen-pin merged people pronounce the merged words with a vowel closer to [E] than to [I]; again, unless it's part of a chain shift that affects /E/ generally, then I wouldn't consider it a CVS feature.
Skippy   Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 am GMT
There are substantial numbers of Texans (especially teenage girls) that do speak similarly to those in Southern California, especially in larger cities. When I was in Germany a few of my friends were from Houston and Austin and they spoke with rather thick California-sounding accent.