Arabic/Egyptian

Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 11:06 pm GMT
How is Egyptian Arabic written down for study? A polyglot told me yesterday that this has not been done yet-there is no "written" form to learn the colloquial language. Bogus?
K. T.   Sat May 24, 2008 12:43 am GMT
How do people study "colloquial" Egyptian Arabic in school, then?
Interesting topic.
Youth   Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 pm GMT
they dont study colloquial language in school. The speak it in their everyday life. They learn MSA at school.

That is why there is no standard writting system for most of these arab dialects.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
If they learn MSA at school and use it every day when reading and writing why do people claim they can't use it? I know if I read and wrote in Latin everyday I would easily be able to carry a conversation in it, so is there something I'm missing or are they just really dumb?
Youth   Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
MSA is seen as formal speak, suitable at work,school and reading/writting. But speaking completely in MSA in a social environment does not usually happen.

When did i say they couldn't speak it? They can but CHOOSE not to in a social setting amongest friends and family.

it is a bit like English, some people speak there local slang/doism or less formal words amogest friends and family, but probably wouldn't in a work/formal environment.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:16 am GMT
But people claim that learning MSA is pointless because you won't be able to speak to anyone. Is it not true that you could go to any Arabic speaking coutnry and they would be able to switch to MSA in order to communicate?

Also, is it not true that if 2 speakers of non mutually intelligible dialects met they could switch to MSA inorder to communicate?
Youth   Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:11 pm GMT
Most Arabs educated and non educated will have some knowledge of MSA, through listing to the New or the Quran.

MSA is not pointless, you need it in work and education. But to speak to people in a social situation, it best to speak in their diacelts; which will be easy once to learnt MSA. Also many diacelts are mutually inteligable.

Therefore, when two arabs who cannot fully understand each others diacelts (Moroccan and Kuwaitie) they would swap their local idoism and slangs for those one MSA.

It is a bit like my language somali, there is Common Somali spoken by everyone, however there are different diaclets that i would not be able to fully understand. For example, i would have trouble understanding reer xamar (people from the south). Therefore, they would speak in Common somali to be fully understood.