CringeFest 6: Saying "question" before asking a q

Quidsane   Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am GMT
Not "Can I ask a question?" or "May I ask a question?"
or "I have a question" but when people just say "question" and then ask their question, well, it's soooo tacky. Please don't learn/practice this awful habit.
Guest   Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 am GMT
What's wrong with "I have a question"? It's not a question, it's a statement.
Quidsane   Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 am GMT
Nothing is wrong with "I have a question".
Read the first post again...
To be clearer:
My gripe is when people say JUST the word "question"
before they ask a question. It makes me want to say "sentence"
before I speak a sentence.;)
Skippy   Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 pm GMT
Dwight on the American version of the Office does this with frequency. "Question: can I have an office?"
beneficii   Fri May 23, 2008 9:19 am GMT
"May I ask a question?"

"Well, you have asked me one already, but you may ask another."
Lo   Fri May 23, 2008 9:56 pm GMT
I usually say "OK, question" and then ask, there's nothing wrong about it.
Now, question: what's the deal with all the cringefests?
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
It's funny, and good to know what words not to use around certain people if you don't want them to cringe.
Bill from Warwick   Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 am GMT
I have noticed a trend of people (usually men) sounding machine-like or robotic when speaking. I think it started with military people and police officers. For example they will use "vehicle" instead of "car", or other technical terms when referring to everyday things. The funniest thing is that they insist on using the word "gentleman" when referring to ANY male. On TV crime shows you'll find them saying things like "we arrived upon the scene to find this gentleman standing in a puddle of blood with a knife in his hand next to the body of his wife", or "these gentleman were picked up for vomiting outside the establishment at 4 in the morning". HELLO! Men who do those things are NOT gentlemen!

These are the same people who say "Question" before asking one. They probably also say "Note to self"!
Sagat   Sat May 24, 2008 2:02 am GMT
Question: Why is it that every time I turn on the radio I hear the same five songs fifteen times a day for three months? Man, funk dat!
gregorii   Sat May 24, 2008 2:06 am GMT
Да, сагат, я совершенно согласен. Я совсем не люблю Эйми Вейхаус! Я не знаю никого, кому она нравится. А они все таки заставляют нас слушать ее песни 5 раз в день!
Bill in Los Angeles   Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 am GMT
Bill from Warwick, I loved your post. You have to understand that in the crime shows, the use of the word "gentleman" when referring to the dude vomitting naked in the subway, is done so to express irony. It's an attempt at humor. And you're right... it is very annoying when people say: "note to self" and "Question"....