Languages You Can Learn at Home or/and Abroad

Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm GMT
I think native speakers is not so important, the number of 2nd language speakers is though and the geographic spread of the language. English for example has relatively small native speaker base in comparison to the world population and yet it is by far the most important language because people learn it all over the world. Languages like Chinese and Hindi have a ton of native speakers but they are only national languages. Very few bother to learn them outside of China and India.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
English has a big amount of native speakers. A global language needs a critical mass of native speakers to become such important. English would had never become so important if it had less native speakers than Italian.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
"Yes, Xie. The total speakers of a language and native speakers are very important. It is one of the most important properties to be considered World language"

Please, explain to me WHY is it important. I do not understand.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
"Yes, Xie. The total speakers of a language and native speakers are very important. It is one of the most important properties to be considered World language"

Please, explain to me WHY is it important. I do not understand.

Because French reached its peak of importance when France was the most populated country in Europe and also English is a global language because iUS is a big and very populated country. A language with 50 millions of native speakers will never become a global language. If you don't understand it you must be mentally disabled.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:53 pm GMT
Why is it important to you that a language becomes a global language?
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
Becuse I like the rest of people speak the same language than me.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
You're lazy and you do not want to learn other languages?
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
I prefer other people learn mine.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm GMT
You want to have privileges?
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 pm GMT
<<You're lazy and you do not want to learn other languages? >

If your native language is English, it's almost impossible (for most people) to learn another "real" language, all of which seem so much more complex than English.
K. T.   Sat May 31, 2008 3:27 am GMT
The "problem" for English speakers (especially Americans not in big cities) is finding people with whom they can practice speaking the language. That's why I recommend Spanish (even though I love many other languages just as much) because there is a chance to actually use this language in the USA.

Spanish is a good choice for Brits as well since so many of them go to Spain on vacation.

French is also a good choice for some people-but there is the question of finding native speakers for regular practice.

If there is a will there is a way, though. If you want to learn badly enough, I suppose you can find friends through the internet.
Guest   Sat May 31, 2008 3:51 am GMT
But there aren't a huge number of English-speakers in Finland either and they manage to speak English well. So I don't think that is the "problem". And don't say they are exposed more to English through the media. These days an English-speaker can be just as exposed to Finish as they are to English if he wants because of the internet.
Guest   Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Finland and other little countries in Europe is a different thing. They need to use an international language to speak each other, including foreign people in their own territory.
K. T.   Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:23 am GMT
"But there aren't a huge number of English-speakers in Finland either and they manage to speak English well. So I don't think that is the "problem". And don't say they are exposed more to English through the media. These days an English-speaker can be just as exposed to Finish as they are to English if he wants because of the internet."

The situation seems quite different to me. I often see people using computers in libraries. However, there are no audio speakers in order to listen to languages. Even with internet exposure, one has to have good resources and I doubt that there are many good resources for learners of Finnish on the internet. If I am mistaken, please feel free to indicate ten sites (not just Youtube videos) with content in English for those who want to learn Finnish.

Finding a Finnish friend for language exchange may be possible, but how does Joe Bob or Sally Mary-Catharine in Hooty Hollow (holler) get to the intermediate level.

I have met fewer than five Finns in my life. Actually, I only remember meeting one and he was half-Finnish.

I rarely see any language resources in Finnish. I have found a few computer programs and a book with a tape and 15 minutes of taped material.

I think it would quite cool to know a language from the Finnish and Hungarian family of languages, but finding the resources is something not as easy as you may believe.

Please show me that I am wrong. If you know legitimate resources for Finnish, please share them
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:55 am GMT
^Well, in Europe is certainly much easier than in US, yes.