Standard American English (again...)

Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Why would they?
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:19 pm GMT
Oops. I accidentally hit the button twice. Too bad we can't delete our own posts on this forum.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 pm GMT
Most news anchors' accents are standardized to an extent, but in general they reflect the speech of the area they cover. Pat Shingleton here in Baton Rouge or Troy Duncan in Dallas (actually they're both weathermen) have standardized their speech, but they're both obviously from the South.
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
Interesting. Most of the news anchors in KC sound like me. Or perhaps I sound like them. Either way, we sound the same. We have a few foreign reporters, and their speech isn't "standardized," but their English is still clear. We do have some radio deejays with accents, though; some are simply from a different region of the US, but most have what I call a "country" accent, because they sound like country singers.

Actually, the country (Southern) accent is pretty prevalent in rural Missouri, and even those of us who didn't grow up speaking that way can turn it on or off like a switch. I could sound like Matthew McConaughey if I really wanted to, but "ya'll" makes me cringe every time I hear it.