Britain / England considered the 52nd fifty second state ?

Travis   Sat May 31, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
Yeah, I have heard Canada referred to such at times. And no, I myself am from Wisconsin.
Barmy in Missouri   Sat May 31, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
Hmm... Perhaps because you're so close to Canada, then? I hope I didn't offend you with the "eh?" remark.
Travis   Sat May 31, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
Not really, even though there are people here who say "eh?", or more commonly "hey?" (being used in the same way as "eh?").
Guest   Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
<<It because you've been sending a lot of crappy songs these days.
Gina G's - Just a little bit, and Imaani's - Where are you now scored high
because they were great. British people seem to like blaming others, that's not a good thing, i.m.o. >>

No, no, Eurovision these days is all about politics and friendship, it has nothing to do with "good songs" or music whatsoever.
Most countries participating and voting now are East countries; it's actually embarrassing watching them all voting on each other. I don't think the West countries (not just United Kingdom) even take it seriously anymore, if you watched Spanish and French performances, lol.
Pepe   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:06 am GMT
Britain is not culturally part of Europe, one must remember that ! Driving on the wrong side of the road, having the worst european cousine, no Identification cards, measuring in stones, feet, pounds, inches etc, just like a caveman in the stone age!

The Continental Europeans never considered Britain a Full European country, just a sort of rainy island near the continent.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:18 am GMT
Economically, the UK is probably better off maintaining a distance from the EU. My understanding, when I went to Oxford for study abroad, was that those in the UK don't really consider themselves a part of Europe.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:57 am GMT
Sure, they keep to their own world and traditions, and are away in a island, but are still part of Europe. They're very active in it too.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 am GMT
yeah sure please stay away Britain , go have a look at statistics :

Britain the worst in Europe: TOP 5

Number 1 in EU for - binge drinking
Number 1 in EU for - Anti-social behavior
Number 1 in EU for - teenage single moms
Number 1 in EU for - child poverty
Number 1 in EU for - Mental Depression
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 am GMT
TOP 5 - Single Version track

Number 1 in EU for - FAT people
Rick   Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am GMT
I was under the impression that the reason the UK was denied entry into the EEC (the UK was never denied membership of the EU, thanks) was because de Gaulle feared that English would become the dominant language.
And to whoever it was who thinks everyone from the UK doesn't want to be part of the EU, you're wrong. I do, and i know plenty of others. :)
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:56 am GMT
de Gaulle feared correctly! His worst nightmares have come true.
Adam   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
The British don't drive onthe wrond side of the road. They drive on the correct side. If we drove on the right rather than the left it would be illegal.

And the British aren't the only Europeans who drive on the elft. The Irish, Swedes and Hungarians do, too.
Adam   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
I also think Britain should leave the EU. The moment when the vast majority of British laws are once again made by ELECTED BRITISH politicians rather than UNLECTED FOREIGN politicians in Brussels will be a great day for democracy.

Amongst other things, the EU has also ruined Britain's once-great fishing industry.

One day, Britain will leave the Eu and we'll just watch as the rest of the EU rots away like an apple on a compost heap.
Adam   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
"Sure, they keep to their own world and traditions, and are away in a island"

According to crazy EU politicians, Britain is NOT an island.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
I'm thinking the EU may have the same problems as the Articles of Confederation did in the US. Eventually the national government (or in the case of the EU, the supernational government) is going to want to have a greater say in the politics of its members and eventually the sovereignty of the UK, France, Germany, etc. will be marginalized like that of the individual United States.