Collocating the adjective "complicate".

Pos   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:24 am GMT
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 am GMT
Seems that the use of "folded" has never lost it's "complex/complicated" meaning.

Etymology: Latin complicatus, past participle of complicare to fold together, from com- + plicare to fold — more at ply
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am GMT
Mr Pedantic are you saying that those who use other dictionaries will be seen as fools if they use "complicate" as an adjective and outside the world of botany, etc? Because you use the OED, you're safe from ridicule, right?
Pos   Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 am GMT
We should note that complex and complicated are do not share the same sense in the world of science? But is "complicate", the adjective, the same as, "complicated" in that world?
Pos   Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 am GMT
Reposted:

We should note that complex and complicated do not share the same sense in the world of science? But is "complicate", the adjective, the same as, "complicated" in that world?
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:16 am GMT
<<One would think that "Folded longitudinally one or several times, as certain leaves or the wings of some insects." implies "Complex, intricate, and involved".>>

The fact that you asked that shows that you are definitely not a science professional, so why is this of interest to you?
MollyB   Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:42 am GMT
<<The fact that you asked that shows that you are definitely not a science professional, so why is this of interest to you? >>

Do I need to be a professional to have interest in something?
Skippy   Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
Use "complicate" as an adjective in a sentence.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
??

<Use "complicate" as an adjective in a sentence.>

Is that an order?
Skippy   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 pm GMT
yes
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:29 pm GMT
Adjectives such as "complicate", though originally pure adjectives (as mentioned above, < Latin complicatus ("folded together"), ppt of complicare - to fold together) can be used as nouns and verbs most of the time

Some usually remain pure adjectives, like "corporate", but others like "subordinate" and "separate" are active as both

Used in a sentence "How poor, how rich, how abject, how august, how complicate, how wonderful is man! --Young.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 pm GMT
<<Adjectives such as "complicate", though originally pure adjectives (as mentioned above, < Latin complicatus ("folded together"), ppt of complicare - to fold together) can be used as nouns and verbs most of the time

Some usually remain pure adjectives, like "corporate", but others like "subordinate" and "separate" are active as both

Used in a sentence "How poor, how rich, how abject, how august, how complicate, how wonderful is man! --Young. >>

btw, I am a different "Guest" than the previous posts
MollyB   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 pm GMT
Have a few, Skip, and learn to say please.

1. A few months ago I had in the hospital a boy nine years of age, who had suffered a complicate fracture of the lower part of the femur.

2. At first, we generate a complicate-structured fractal tree consisting of a trunk and various shapes of branches and leaves.

3. In the second case, we could think to be in presence of a complicate system, because, broadly speaking, the observer is able to identify the basic elements.

4. A complicate radical polymerization pathway was proposed based on the elucidation of the polymerization data in different studies.

5. We believe that a complicate pricing mechanism may not only increase the computational network overheads but may also suffer from the complexities of its implementation.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 pm GMT
Why not avoid the whole problem and just forego the adjective "complicate" entirely (except maybe in certain scientific texts where it is commonly used to mean something specific).
Skippy   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
lol That "yes" was not me... And sorry... I'll be more polite :-)

1. I think you're referring to a "compound" fracture... Which isn't fun no matter what you call it...

Maybe it's just me... I've never heard "complicate" used as an adjective...