Do Canadian teenage girls speak like Valley girls?

Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:35 am GMT
-How different is the southeastern Wisconsin accent from the Chicago accent? -

And what about Wisconsin / Minnesota ?
Minnesotans ''hear'' people from Wisconsin pronouncing Wisconsin as ''Wiscansin'' (with [æ] rather than [ɑ])
Travis   Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:02 am GMT
Now that I think about, probably the thing I notice the most strongly about my relatives from the Chicago and even the Kenosha area speech-wise is that they sound very "flat" in how they speak to me, which is probably the comparative lack of vowel length variation as well as weaker overall intonation relative to my own dialect.
Travis   Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:05 am GMT
>>And what about Wisconsin / Minnesota ?<<

I really cannot say for certain considering that I really have not interacted enough with people from Minnesota while actually paying attention to such, but it is certain that they have a much weaker NCVS if any at all than people from southeastern Wisconsin (even though apparently aspects of it have reached southern Minnestoa by the present).

>>Minnesotans ''hear'' people from Wisconsin pronouncing Wisconsin as ''Wiscansin'' (with [æ] rather than [ɑ])<<

That is probably having a weaker NCVS than southeastern Wisconsin, even though we don't actually use [æ] for such. Again, though, apparently enough of the NCVS has reached southern Minnesota such that the STRUT vowel is further back than the FATHER vowel (even though the above would indicate that their FATHER vowel is still further back than that here).
Travis   Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:17 am GMT
(Also, the only people I myself have really known from Minnesota are two relatives of mine, who are really originally from southeastern Wisconsin, and a roommate of mine, who actually spoke in a quite GA-like fashion to my ears and likely is not representative of less GA-like dialects spoken in Minnesota.)
Travis   Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:25 pm GMT
>>U.S. English is destroying the good English spoken in Canada. A British kid has a much better pronuntiation and language skills than a US teenager.<<

LOL - Canadian English is an integral part of the North American English dialect continuum, and in no way is really all that distinct from American English. Furthemore, as for "better pronunciation and language skills", you do know that most Americans actually speak far more standardly (if that is "better") than British counterparts, and you do know what Britons are not really well-known for their skill in learning foreign languages either, do you?
Valley Girl and proud   Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 pm GMT
Be afraid, be like totally afraid. We are taking over the world! lol.

People do say I sound like I'm asking a question all the time. I don't notice it. I guess its just a bad habit or something?.
Skippy   Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:10 am GMT
lol good for you chica.

The question intonation is pretty standard in large cities in Texas as well (Dallas, Houston, etc.).
Valley Girl and proud   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
Hey Texans are kewl.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm GMT
Way kewl, way rad
Valley Girl and proud   Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
Skippy are you hispanic, chico?. I think my dog is like Mexican or something.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm GMT
your dawg? oh my gawd...I'll tell your mawm
Skippy   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
I'm Scotch-German. I have a kilt and I eat sauerkraut. I'm not joking either.

And yes, Valley Girl, Texans are way kewl. Or hella kewl if you live north of LA...
Valley Girl and proud   Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
YEY!! everybody's speaking valleyspeak. First this thread, then the world. woo-haa-haa-haa.

Guest, my lil dawgie, Twinkle, is a chihuahua. You can tell my mawm but she already knows.

Skippy, that's hot!. I bet you look totally awesome in that kilt. Tell me, do you wear anything underneath?.lol.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 pm GMT
That's way rad. Loveen it