arabic language..

Guest   Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 am GMT
Like Spanish, Portuguese language also remains a lot of influences from Arabic, such as Alface,Almondegas,Alface,Oxala,Algarve,Alcoitão,Alcacer,Alma,Almofada, Além,Silves,Alfama.
I know this ain't nothing to do with this post, but Portuguese traditional music FADO, is known to have originated from Arabic influences
Ina   Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:59 am GMT
Salam!I want to learn arabic language,but i don't know how?I bought a dictionary,but is difficult without someone who know it.Please help me to learn it quicly and with results.Chokranne!Baslama!
Gringo   Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:48 pm GMT
Guest Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 am GMT
««but Portuguese traditional music FADO, is known to have originated from Arabic influences . »»

Fado appears in Portugal only in the XIX century!

It can not be known where from where it originated because no one knows it's origin.
The arab influence is just one of the possibilities.The name FADO was heard first in Brazil no one knows if it refers to the same music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Portugal
Michelle   Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:39 am GMT
If you want to start learning a language at home try the Rosetta Stone programs. Search google for Rosetta Stone, and you'll find the site. You can try a demonstration disk to see if you like the way they teach it. They have Arabic, too.

As far as letters having different shapes according to their position in a word, it's really not much more confusing than having different shapes for capital and lower case letters in cursive writing.

I think the difference between the various forms of Arabic in North Africa are more like the differences between Portuguese in Brazil, Portugal and the Azorres. It's the same language, but sounds quite different and has local variants.
Viri Amaoro   Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
Just for your information, in Portuguese-Arabic one would render the sentence "the young man's face" as "a alface do almoço"... (a al-face do al-moço, get it?...)
Gringo   Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:24 am GMT
The Portuguese language has about as many Arab words as the English language mainly because the Arab language gained great importance in medieval Europe through commerce, science, astronomy and the crusades.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/666/cu3.htm
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~cpercy/courses/6361Wilson.htm
Youness For Ina   Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:28 pm GMT
Hi antimooners
It's for Ina !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi Ina do you want to want to learn Arabic ? I really want to help you..........I swear I can do that with happiness. I love to teach My native language. So if want You can take my e-mail It's greenowl2@hotmail.com
Thanks again
Someone   Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
Hello
I have to tell Something which is very important
I love arabic So mush because It s a beautiful language in the world. Its a language of Quoran Does anybody Know It? anyway You can read the history of Arabic language....I think you going to disbileave me. So you can go to see how mush beatiful the arabic lang are
You decide languages Of Wish people They Speak
In fact Its the truth
BTW Im not arabic person Im from mexico
Danielle   Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
Hi I was wondering if someone could provide me a translation/definition for these arabic words that I found online? the website I found them on say it means "fortunate soul" but I wanted to be sure...

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/jmt/tatus/images/mahzoozah.gif

Thanks!
Danielle
Bayou Rover   Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:47 pm GMT
Danielle,

My Arabic is not really that good I think this means "The lucky self" or something.

I tried to learn Arabic many times, for I lived in the Middle East for some period of time. I have got to say though, the pronunciation of some letters is really hard and some I could never master. I can fairly understand Arabic but can't speak it that well.

The fact is I learnt Hebrew when I was really young, so that might have helped me in learning Arabic, as there are many similarities between the two. Both belong to the Semitic Languages branch, I reckon.
hemaidy   Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm GMT
Hello,

For those who are interested to learn Arabic (basic & advanced), Please check the following free website and emails group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learn_arabic_language/

With my best regards,
Hemaidy.
Josh Lalonde   Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:25 pm GMT
I'm currently taking Arabic in university, and while I'm certainly no expert, maybe I can help a little. The biggest problem with learning Arabic is that there are many different forms. Each Arabic-speaking country has its own form of Colloquial Arabic, that is often very different in pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary from other varieties or Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). MSA is basically the Arabic of the Qur'an adapted to the modern world and with a few simplifications of grammar. It is the form used in newspapers, books, magazines, and news reports on TV or radio. This is the form I am currently learning, though we did look at some Colloquial last semester. Just as an example, 'how are you' is 'kaif al-Hal' [k{if{lH\{l] in MSA, 'kifek' in Iraqi and 'izzayek' in Morrocan, if I remember correctly. So if you learn MSA, you will be speaking a very formal variety, almost a foreign language, while if you learn a colloquial form, you will be limited to that country and unable to read well.
As for the alphabet, yes there are different forms depending on the place of the letter in the word, but it's really not that difficult. The trickiest part of the alphabet for me are that many letters are distinguished only by dots above and below, and are therefore easy to confuse. I also tend to confuse letters for sounds that don't occur in English like sin for sad, or kha for Ha. For me though, the grammar is much harder than the alphabet, and the vocabulary is harder than the grammar.
sakman42   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
I cannot understand syrian and iraq colloquial arabic please help meee
Alba   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
Arabic music is nice, but all I know in Arabic is Bismilah, Ishallah, and Mashallah lol.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
Arabic Raï music is the best, entrancing and heavenly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ1fzrGMMQk&mode=related&search=