history vs story

Socrates   Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
Why did these words break apart? Do they still mean the same? What connotations are there? Do these mean the same?

The history of ancient Greece - The story of ancient Greece
John told me an interesting history about his dog - John told me an interesting story about his dog

Thank you
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:07 am GMT
It should be:

- The history of ancient Greece
- John told me an interesting story about his dog.

The meaning of these 2 words overlap. They refer to things that happened in the past. However, your examples clearly show in what respect they're different.

According to my dictionary:

"History" is all the things that happened in the past, especially the political, social, or economic development of a nation.

"Story" is a description of an event or how something happened that is intended to entertain people and may be true or imaginary.
Brian Milan   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 am GMT
History is always facts; all the documented events that happened in the past. The history of the United States includes the American Revolution, the Civil War, and the Great Depression, etc.

A story may be either fictional or based on actual events and is used primarily for entertainment or teaching lessons/morals. "The Ugly Duckling" is a story, for instance.

They are not interchangeable.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 pm GMT
HIStory is sexist. We must change it to "hystory".
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
There's history, herstory, itstory and theirstory.
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:03 am GMT
I suppose the politically correct form of this word would reallybe "her/his/story".
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:06 am GMT
<<I suppose the politically correct form of this word would reallybe "her/his/story".>>

Or itsstory for the transsexuals.
Travis   Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 am GMT
/me shakes his head...

And actually, at least around here, "history" does not even *sound* like "his story", as "history" is [ˈhɪʃʲtʃʲʁ̩ːiː] while "his story" would be [ˈhɪːsʲ ˈsʲtʲɔːʁiː].
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:31 am GMT
The correct form is MYstory.