Bilingual Proficiency?

Dan   Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:47 am GMT
I've thought about teaching my son another language, but something leaves me hesitant about doing so.

Do you think a bilingual speaker can ever achieve same proficiency of the language of the monolingual speaker?

I have no doubt that my child could be exceptionally fluent in both languages, but I'm worried that both languages would both be compromised to an extent. Even as a grown adult, I myself am still building upon and improving my English and I am a monolingual.

I would just feel guilty if my son had a penchant for writing or language and his ability to master a language was compromised because much of his time and effort was directed towards another language.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:55 am GMT
I always wish my parents had taught me another language. Knowing another language opens up so many opportunities and enriches one's life I can't imagine you'd be worried abuot that. Besides, it's quite possible to speak 2 languages well and it happens all the time.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:14 am GMT
Definitely teach your son another language if you can. Studies have shown that bilingual children's brains often develop better, so you're doing more than just giving them another language. You may be able to improve their overall cognitive abilities.
Xie   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
>>Even as a grown adult, I myself am still building upon and improving my English and I am a monolingual.

I think most human beings are to some extent monolingual...so... though you've lived longer than I have, I don't think you have to worry that much. Not being that able just means you can offer less input. But you can encourage others to find more input.

I taught myself a second language properly for the first time in recent years, and now I'm even going for the fourth... even though I'm at best trilingual only (and not quite fluent, since I have almost no real conversational exposure), I'm quite confident that I can teach anyone at least these three languages, who would stay with me for a long time...

Having English as native is already a great starting point. I can't almost learn any foreign language without English.