terror = terrorism

Guest   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 am GMT
Since when were these words synonyms?

The war against terror??? That makes no sense. Why aren't they closing banning horror films?
Skippy   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:38 am GMT
The "War on Terror" is completely understood by English speakers to refer to terrorism. The words aren't synonyms, but it's not confusing to a native speaker.
Guest   Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 am GMT
Why not just 'terrorism'? oh wait, our children is learning...
Guest   Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:49 am GMT
<<Why not just 'terrorism'?>>

I guess "terror" is just one of those words with context-dependent meaning. In the phrase "The war against terror", terror means terrorism. In other cases, it doesn't. Who says natural languages need to be logical.
Guest   Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:20 am GMT
The one who performs terror is a terrorist. Terrorism is the term to refer to that what terrorists do in general. A terrorist may be to one who did September elever or pupils bulliying their class mates. Its all the same, only the scale is different.
Guest   Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:53 pm GMT
The terror against terror. LOL
greg   Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:42 pm GMT
'Guest' : « The war against terror??? That makes no sense. »

Tu as parfaitement raison. L'expression <guerre à la terreur> est un syntagme néologique et idéologique dont le sens est différent de <guerre au terrorisme>. La charge politique et émotionnelle contenue dans <guerre à la terreur> est instrumentalisée par le pouvoir politique pour formater les esprits rendus malléables par les médias complices.

La principale source de terreur aujourd'hui au Moyen-Orient, c'est l'invasion de l'Iraq, un État autrefois souverain, par les États-Unis, dont le gouvernement a inventé l'expression <guerre à la terreur> pour terroriser les peuples de la région.

Skippy : « The "War on Terror" is completely understood by English speakers to refer to terrorism. »

C'est le problème : le pouvoir politique a réussi à atteindre son objectif (aux États-Unis seulement → ailleurs on fait la nuance).

'Guest' : « The one who performs terror is a terrorist. »

Non, pas du tout. Les loups sèment la terreur chez les herbivores sans être pour autant considérés comme des terroristes. Si quelqu'un se cache derrière une porte et se met à hurler pour te glacer d'effroi, il déclenche chez toi un mouvement de terreur, et pourtant ce n'est pas un terroriste.

Un terroriste est quelqu'un qui commet des actes de terrorisme pour faire triompher son idéologie : le loup n'a aucune idéologie → il se nourrit d'herbivores ; la personne cachée derrière la porte n'est pas un idéologue → c'est un mauvais plaisantin.

Voici une définition du terrorisme (du TILF) : « Ensemble des actes de violence qu'une organisation politique exécute dans le but de désorganiser la société existante et de créer un climat d'insécurité tel que la prise du pouvoir soit possible ».
Cette définition s'applique aussi bien aux commenditaires du Onze septembre qu'au viol et au rapt de l'Iraq par le gouvernement états-unien.
Russconha   Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 am GMT
The use of terror here is used in an attempt to make the general public feel as if terror is a real and existing force in our lives, therefore justifying illegal wars against under developed countries.

(In my humble opinion)
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 pm GMT
Greg, my French is not so good to understand everything you have written. It is obvious that my statemant ''the one who performs terror is a terrorist'' is very straitforward und doesn't refer to animals (in your case a wolf hunting deer.) Wolfs hunt and thats what they need to survive. Terrorists (humen beings by default and for the time being -- there may be nonhuman intelligent terrorists elsewhere in the universe) doesn't need to do what they do to others. They may do it for whatever reason, and narrowing that down to the TILF? definition you provided is not good to cope with that phenomenon. It narrows your ''vista'' so you can't observe similar structures in other fields of human life.

Ask the mobbing terrorsits why they mob e. g. their schoolmates!

In German we refer to bullying with the term ''Mobbing''. The one who coined that term admits that mobbing is some kind of terror. And that's true. I know that because I was ''mobbed'' almost all my schooldays and a long time after leaving school. Mobbing is a form of destroying one more lives in a way thats not obvious to others, in contrast to the 9/11 kind of terror. But all of that is a certain kind of terror with much very hard and unpleasant and sad impact on your own life as well as the lives of others (parents, friend, etc.)

Ask the mobbing terrorsits why they mob e. g. their schoolmates!

What's the answer you would get? I'll tell you:

... because he or she has black or white skin, green, grey or blue eyes, is thick or thinn, small or tall, is Jewisch, Christian, Muslim, or doesn't even believe in god, is or is not of a certain community, nationality etc. ...

You can add to this list endlessly. It will always be that way. Ask a terrorist why they did what they did?

You will get similar answers!

Everyone is different to another in many ways. Arguing in the way above is always terrorism, regardless if its a pupil bullying his fellow pupils or a brainwashed teenager throwing bombs or organised terrorism that yields 9/11.

If you allow bullying beneath children because you think it's a miner thingy then you will end up with international terror sooner or later. Problems grew up with children!

Terror is a real and existing force in our lives, but the way our authorities try to cope with it (i.e. narrowing down liberty rights, more restrictive laws, etc.) will yield the more terror. I think, at least thats the impression I have here in Germany, that the authorities like to narrow down liberty rights and terrorism of any kind is just an excuse to do so.
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
... because he or she has black or white skin, green, grey or blue eyes, is thick or thinn, small or tall, is Jewisch, Christian, Muslim, or doesn't even believe in god, is or is not of a certain community, nationality etc. ...

Want to add to that list:

... because he or she dosen't ware the right cloths, does ware his sun shielding cap or hat or whatever that kind of thing the hip hop enthousiasts have on there head is called in the wrong direction, doesn't likes the kind of music punctually en vogue, because his or her parents are rich or poor, ...
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
Mobbing and bullying are different. Google it.
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
I thougt mobbing was something in MMORPGs.
Skippy   Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
For those interested in the causes of suicide terrorism, try reading "The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism" by Robert Pape (APSR 97.3, Aug 2003 p. 343-361)
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
dict.leo.org gives three german translations for bullying:

1. das Mobbing
2. die Schikane
3. der Terror

Maybe bullying is some special case of mobbing. To my mind, we should not be too specific with definitions concerning that topics. This doesn't help the victims. And helping the victims and stop that what happens is the most important thing, even more important than the ''rights'' the terrorists hide behind, e. g. the ''right to live''. With bullying or other kinds of terror, humans are treated in a very unhuman way for the pleasure or other pervers benefits (e.g. ideological one) of other people. It's some kind of nonsexual raping. Some kind of mental raping.
It destroys the families, lives and and life chances of the victims.
It is of uttmost importance to stop that!