Should everyone learn English alone at home?

Randall   Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 pm GMT
I think Antimoon's methods are good.

Should everyone learn English alone at home? I mean without going to English classes.
Johnny   Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:00 am GMT
I've been learning it all by myself, no teachers, no classes at all, just me and my pc. I'm still learning. Nowadays, if you have a good connection to the internet, there are so many resources online and available in the form of books and CDs that most learners could well do without any teachers.
Grammar books and other material provided the basics;
Monolingual dictionaries for learners (Oxford, Longman, etc.) provide meanings, examples and usage;
The internet provides all the material for practicing whatever you want, reading, listening (youtube, radios, etc.), etc. Internet forums provide interaction with native speakers and make it possible to ask questions and get different answers.

The worst part is getting started. It's easy to give up and take the wrong approach. It's really stressful... Until you reach a certain level and you realize you are starting to enjoy English for real. Then you can say "I almost have the power" :-)
Skippy   Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 am GMT
Learning alone is fine if you can sit down, focus, and do it. Those of us for whom that is a problem usually just end up taking classes :-) Of course, I can't speak for learning English, but I never would have learned the limited German I know without courses and traveling to Germany.
shine_core   Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:44 am GMT
Learning English alone at home...Not attending a typical English class, is okey...Since it gives you time to concentrate and focus no distractions, as long as you have a good internet connection and a reliable resources on line. But I also believe that once in a while we need interaction from our fellow English learners, since you need to practice and put into action what you've learned... And lastly I suggest that in studying English we need to improve our listening ability too, try dropping by this site its unique flamingos teaching English to young ones and adults...This is a good way too in improving students English skills...
Abdullah   Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:19 am GMT
I do that too and I have fun with it, but there are some situations that makes you try to ask, interact and do a lot of things.

I think you should ask yourself : Why did I learn English?
Simply , [To communicate with people]. for this reason you couldn't give up others.

According to what we mentioned above, you must do the following :

1- Read some passages about English language.
2- Highlight the new vocabulary.
3- Translate that new vocabulary by using your favorite dictionary.
4- Write every vocabulary definition up of each of witch.
5- Read the passage again after translation for more than one time
6- Try to using the new vocabulary you have gained them in new context from your industry.
7- [[Communicate]] with others (like chat) by opening and speaking about any topics and subjects which contains on that vocabulary you gained them.
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:53 am GMT
I find the English spelling system extremely confusing and usually lack formality of spelling rules. Which is a barrier to one wishing to teach one's self the language.
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:25 am GMT
I think spelling is the least problem for teaching oneself. You can easily just memorise them at home. You just tick it right or wrong, theres no ambiguity.

On the other hand, for pronunciation and grammar you pretty much NEED a native speaker to tell you whether something is right or wrong. Some sentences are right grammatically, but just sound wrong. There's no way to know this in a lot of cases unless you ask someone.
Dans   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:43 am GMT
Memorising is one thing - but I was merely stating the lack of formality of spelling rules or the fact the English language isn't phonetic friendly to relation to it's written form like most other languages.

In terms of verbal aspects of the language it isn't hard for me which compared to the written aspect in my opinion. which. Obviously it depends a wide range of factors eg. speakers of non indo European languages especially when you also use a non roman script to write one's native language.
Randall   Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:31 pm GMT
I attended to English classes for one year and six month. I learned a lot of English grammar. After I read the information on this website I put in practice its advices.

I'm learning English for many reasons but the most important is that I want to get a job in a Call Center as a Customer Service Representative. The problem is you need to have a level of 90% (comprehension) and very good fluency when you are speaking. I can learn a lot by reading and listening. However speaking is always a problem because I don't have any friend to talk. I tried to read aloud but isn't the same that to speak with a friend. I study pronunciation almost everyday with SuperMemo and a dictionary.
Dans   Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Hey Randall - my suggestion is aquire internet chat pals - I often speak with native speakers via my windowslive messenger - which has helped me alot.