Is glottal stop widely spread in the UK and US?

Trawicks   Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 pm GMT
Western New England and parts of the Great Lakes area have a certain degree of intervocalic t-glottaling, but usually only at the ends of words (eg. "a lot of" as /@ la? Vv/). There is, however, some t-elision in the middle of words in some NCVS dialects (eg. "better" = /be@'/, which marks it as different from the fairly uniform use of /4/ in GenAm.
Travis   Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
>>Western New England and parts of the Great Lakes area have a certain degree of intervocalic t-glottaling, but usually only at the ends of words (eg. "a lot of" as /@ la? Vv/). There is, however, some t-elision in the middle of words in some NCVS dialects (eg. "better" = /be@'/, which marks it as different from the fairly uniform use of /4/ in GenAm.<<

The consistent use in intervocalic (including across morpheme and word boundaries) of [ɾ̥] for /t/, [ɾ] for /d/, [n] for /n/, [ɾ̃] for /nt/, and [ɾ̃] or [nd] for /nd/ to me at least is a marker of the most conservative idiolects here in the Upper Midwest. (I remember being up by Green Bay and Gresham, where it was seriously strange to my ears to hear people who practically always preserved *all* of those in all positions.) For instance, "a lot of" is normally [əːˈɰaɐ̯] amongst younger people here, with [əːˈɰaɾ̥əː] being distinctly conservative when not stressed. Note that even in conservative speech here, though, final /t/ is generally not [ʔ] if the following word in the same utterance begins with a vowel.
Reg   Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:21 am GMT
<<I see. But other than that, it's not common between vowels in the US. It is in the UK. But does anybody know about Australia?>>

Glottal stops are not used in Australian English. Of course you do hear them from English migrants and backpackers.