Why in Spanish V is pronunced B?

VIVO is (BIBO)
VICTOR is (BICTOR)
VINO is (BINO)

I have heard some spanish speakers mostly singing still pronuncing V and not B

why is that?

BRACIAS BVB
@ BENI BIDI BICI   Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am GMT
This a legacy of Iberian pre-Indo-European languages, of which only survives Basque.
Basque has plenty of B's but lacks the voiced labiodental V.
Which is very weird IMHO.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:54 am GMT
Definitely BENI BIDI BICI is right. It seems that in Roman times the Spanish already pronounced V like B when they spoke Latin. Thus it may be due to a Prerroman substratum that had its influx in the Spanish language as well. It may be non Indoeuropean or not, because in North Portugal this feature is also present. The Romans noticed it and said :
"Beati Hispani quibus bibere vivere est"
Happy Spaniards form whom to live is the same as to drink. (Bibere = to drink , vivere= to live). Viva el vino y las mujeres!
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am GMT
It's weird, sometimes they pronounce it: bamos, sometimes vamos, wamos
sometimes it's bibir, sometimes biwir, wiwir, vivir.

both b, and v, I've heard them being pronounced as either b, v or w
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 am GMT
B and V don't correspond to different phonemes, but the pronounciation of these can be quite random. Once I noticed that in some Andalusian accents they pronounce B like V: "vueno".
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 am GMT
ricky martin sings VIDA LOCA not BIDA LOCA.
julio eglesias sings VOLVER not BOLBER

why?
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 am GMT
Depende del gusto del individuo.
lobotomiator   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:50 am GMT
<<The Romans noticed it and said :
"Beati Hispani quibus bibere vivere est" >>
Apparently this saying comes from the Renaissance, it was unknown to Romans
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=997178
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 pm GMT
"Depende del gusto del individuo"

so you mean its ok either way? from what i can hear musicians like the "V" not the "b"

"V" is Vibrant
"B" is borring

julio iglesias (not ricky) sings and says every "V". Very strange!
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:50 pm GMT
Christina Aguilera sings BEN CONMIGO, BEN CONCOMIGO BABY
guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
<<It's weird, sometimes they pronounce it: bamos, sometimes vamos, wamos
sometimes it's bibir, sometimes biwir, wiwir, vivir.
>>

Spanish speakers in the United States will often pronounce SPanish 'v' as an English 'v', due to English influence.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:32 pm GMT
Very tricky question. From my experience educated Spaniards always distinguish between "v" and "b" in all areas of Spain. What changes from one to another is how much they exaggerate the "v". But the difference is there. As for the Iberian substratum it's not clear to me since in most of the peninsula, except for the East, before the Romans the languages spoken were Celt-Iberian or related dialects.
Alessandro   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
Sunday the "V/B" of Luis Aragonés wil become "ouch".
Skippy   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:08 pm GMT
The tendency of /b/ becoming /v/ is pretty common... Irish has /b/ morphed into /v/ in some situations, Greek and Hebrew at one point had /b/ become /v/ as well.
Gabriel   Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:00 pm GMT
I do not pronounce v like b or b like v. What happens is that the original phonemes /v/ and /b/have merged (at least in the kind of Spanish I speak, but I suspect this is true for most varieties).
The actual realization of the single phoneme represented in writing by b or v can be:
1) [B]. A bilabial approximant. This occurs typically between vowels. NABO [naBo] CLAVO [klaBo]. I have this realization sometimes word-initially, but I don't think this is typical of most speakers.
2) [b]. Typically after /m/ /n/ (in the sequences MB and NV). CAMBIO [kambjo] ENVIAR [embja4] ([envja4] is overly careful, deliberate language). [b] also occurs at the beginning of words. VAMOS [bamos] BIEN [bjen].
3) [v]. Especially as a result of the valiant but vain efforts teachers make in primary schools, sometimes a word spelt with V gets [v]. I notice that I tend to pronounce OBVIO as [ovio].

I wonder how a native English speaker deals with [B]. Does (s)he map it onto /b/ or /v/ (or perhaps /w/)?