Thosma's mother or Thomas' mother?

Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 am GMT
Should I use "Thosma's mother" or "Thomas' mother" or both forms are acceptable? Thank you!
Brian   Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 am GMT
Thosma's mother??

I think you are trying to ask whether you should use Thomas's or Thomas'. Am I right?
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 am GMT
Yeah, I am trying to ask whether to use Thomas's or Thomas'.
sorry.
KC   Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:45 am GMT
From what I can recall through the hazy mists of my junior school grammar classes, I think Thomas' is the correct one. Linguistic experts, please feel free to correct
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 am GMT
Opinions vary on this.

Overlooking the Thames in London there is a huge hospital, close to Westminster Bridge - St Thomas' Hospital. In Holloway, North West London, you will find St Thomas's Gardens.

In Leeds there is another famous hospital - St James's Hospital. Here in Edinburgh we have a St James' Place.

It's all hit and miss so don't get your knickers in a twist over it - just follow local practice and be done with it, pal. Or simply do your own thing anyway.
Johnny   Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:51 am GMT
Interesting question. I've never known when to pronounce an additional "iz" sound, and when to leave it out. I believe the problem is not really spelling, but the way you pronounce it.
Chris mother? Chris is mother?
Britney Spears mother? Britney Spears is mother?
KC   Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:15 am GMT
I have always said "Britney Spears mother", lingering just a tad more on the last 's' of Spears, to make sure that people understood the context. It sounds fine to me (duh :)), and I hear others mostly using the same.