Craving respect

MollyB   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:08 am GMT
Regarding language use, whose respect do you crave?

For example, a few weeks ago, I wrote the word "fora", as the plural for "forum", and a couple of native-speaking members here took me to task over it, and a couple more even made fun of me for using it. They said I should use "forums". Well, I'm still using "fora", so I guess I'm not so interested in gaining the respect, linguistically and socially, of said members. But, did I make the right choice? Should I have taken on the usage of said members? Should I have tried to to gain their respect?

And should someone who feels comfortable using a double-negative, or is happy using "if I have chance" in the spoken form - to take just two examples - give up their way of speaking, of using the language, and instead try to gain the respect of those who prescribe against such forms? Should someone who never uses "ain't", as another example, suddenly begin using it when coming into contact with those who do use it?

So, regarding language use, do you try or wish to gain the respect of a certain sector of society? If so, which sector and why?
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
You have to respect yourself. If you're happy using a double negaitve and you like saying, "I don't got no shoes" that's fine but you also have to know that doing so will limit your income, job and dating opportunities. But maybe you're ok with those limitations.

<<Should someone who never uses "ain't", as another example, suddenly begin using it when coming into contact with those who do use it?>>

I would never regulate my grammar or pronunciation for the audience, aside from of course speaking a different language altogether if necessary, which is an entirely different issue.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
I crave the respect of all those who are not named MollyB.
Damian   Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
Respect yourself and others will do the same. It's as easy as that.

It's forums, end of. It may not adhere to correct Latin, by neither does data. Have you ever heard anyone use "datum" for one unit of information? The same applies to locums....as in doctors stepping in as temporary replacements. Nobody uses fora or loca, but they do use flora in connection with the plant life, flowers and vegetation generally of a particular area or era, but in that case it can pretty much be taken as one single unit anyway.
Shadwell   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 pm GMT
<<<If you're happy using a double negaitve and you like saying, "I don't got no shoes" that's fine but you also have to know that doing so will limit your income, job and dating opportunities.>>>

Ain't done that yet. I don't know nothin about such a situation. I get girls, got a good job and income.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 pm GMT
!!doing so will limit your income, job and dating opportunities!!

My goodness! Does that mean that all the milions of people who use double negatives are not gainfully employed, not dating or married and can't support their kids?

Shocked!
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
!!!Nobody uses fora or loca, !!!

That is a bit of a scary statement. It reminds me of those old prescriptivist "one form, one meaning" rants. Let's reduce all variants, shall we?
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 pm GMT
I find your use of language a bit sexy, Shadwell. Wanna date?
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:42 pm GMT
<<My goodness! Does that mean that all the milions of people who use double negatives are not gainfully employed, not dating or married and can't support their kids?>>

The OP didn't say they wouldn't work or marry, rather that their opportunities would be limited. Specifically, white collar job opportunities will be for the most part off the table, so that's a whole sector unavailable to you if you choose to speak like you've lived in a shack your whole life. As for dating and marriage, you're pretty much limited to hillbillies. If I hear a guy say "I ain't got no shoes" he ain't gittin' in my pants neither. I don't date uneducated people and in English double negatives are almost exclusively the vernacular of hillbillies. It's the grammatical equivalent to incorrect subject and verb agreement (them is pretty flowers ain't they?" Understand, I'm referring to English. In other languages the double negative is the rule for negation.
Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 am GMT
You'll probably end up talking like the people you spend the most time with whether you like it or not so I wouldn't worry about it.