Can Native Speakers explain these?

Native Korean   Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:26 pm GMT
I've got 2 questions for native speakers of English.

#1. Can someone explain the difference between "Dilemma" and "Catch 22"?
Also, please give me an example of each term in real life.

#2. "New York is 3 hours ahead of LA."
If I want to mention LA first, how would the sentence change?
"LA is 3 hours behind to New York." Does this make sense?
Benny   Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
<<#1. Can someone explain the difference between "Dilemma" and "Catch 22"?
Also, please give me an example of each term in real life. >>

Dilemma is any problem where the solution is difficult because all of your options have a negative outcome. Example, "Here's my dilemma, do I tell my wife I don't like her lasagna and have to eat it for the rest of my life, or do I tell her the truth and hurt her feelings. If I tell her the truth it will hurt her feelings but she'll probably never make that horrible lasagna again."

Catch 22 means one thing can't be accomplished without fulfilling a prerequisite, but the prerequisite cannot be fulfilled without first doing the thing you want to accomplish. It's easier to provide an example: You want to have a job in the sales department in your company. However, they don't hire people in the sales department without previous experience in the sales department. In order to get that experience, you have to first get hired in the sales department. It's a circular negative. You can't get the experience if they don't hire you and they won't hire you without the experience.

<<#2. "New York is 3 hours ahead of LA."
If I want to mention LA first, how would the sentence change?
"LA is 3 hours behind to New York." Does this make sense? >>

Yes, ""LA is 3 hours behind to New York." is exactly how a native speaker would say this.
JT   Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 pm GMT
<<Yes, ""LA is 3 hours behind to New York." is exactly how a native speaker would say this.>>

No, that doesn't sound right to me. I would drop the 'to': "LA is 3 hours behind New York."
Benny   Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
JT's right. I didn't notice the "to". Drop the "to" and it's perfect.